Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Have you upgraded to Microsft 10???

Have you upgraded to Microsft 10???

I am worried that my Embroidery Module 5D my not work if I change it. Have received notice I can upgrade to 10 free!!! What to do???

That is a really tough decision. It is always so hard to get MS to answer any question. Who makes your embroidery module? I would contact them. Good Luck
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Contact the software company to ask if they are compatible, my company has their windows 10 compatibility already listed on their site, yours might have the same thing. I wouldn't do the upgrade until you are sure they are compatible
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

My friend converted to 10 and his computer crashed. Mentioned it to someone in Office Depot and they said to make sure you do not have ANY viruses before downloading. I know he runs his virus program continually. Not sure what made his crash, but now I am leary.....

Like everything else, ask many, many questions before you leap into anything like that.

We did and I HATE it.

Blog Entries
    The tech support people at my work place (a large university) told us NOT to download it. All new releases seem to have glitches that cause problems when first released. We were advised to wait a minimum of six months.
    Novie
    Working my way through life, one block at a time.

Good advice, to wait until the glitches are discovered. From what I have read about it, I don't need it any more than I needed Win8.

My oldest son said he installed on his computer and had so many programs that wouldn't run correctly that he reinstalled is Windows 7. I have read that several people have had problems with it so I figure I will be waiting for the glitches to be worked out and then will have my son install on my computer (he built it for me).

Don't do it yet! I have had several friends who where anxious and downloaded and had major crashes of their computers. I was glad they shared this info as I was getting ready to upgrade to 10 from 8.1. I will gladly wait until they have the bugs out.

Last week I got an alert from SeniorNet of Puget Sound that warned of scammers tricking people into downloading ransomware by touting it as the Windows 10 Upgrade. You can read the information that Hal referred to by checking out "Cisco Systems Company blog Windows 10 scam" I'd love to be able to post a link here to the letter that Hal Mozer sent out, but don't know the steps to do that. The best I can do is tell you to do a google search using the info I have put in quotation marks. PC World also covered this problem.

You should only D/L from Microsoft site! Yep, I've done it and having no problems (knock wood). You can upgrade, and if you don't like it, you can return to your Win 7 or 8 within 30 days. Just do a restore. Software programs that are not recognized will need updated drivers--go to the manufacturer site. I had uninstalled most of my old software programs for embroidery, but found I'd left behind a couple--the upgrade did the driver updates for me. I do have some programs that were made for 32bit processor, and they did not work in the Win 7 anyway because it's 64bit. I bought a rebuilt Win 7 with 32bit just for my embroidery programs. I only went to 10 because I feared support would be discontinued for 7 & 8.

[QUOTE=mermaid;7287334]You should only D/L from Microsoft site! Yep, I've done it and having no problems (knock wood).

The article points out that the scammers spoofed the Microsoft site so well that it looked real. If you go to the legitimate MS site, you should be okay, but if you got an email offering the download, be wary.

I did not get an e mail it seemed to just pop up on my system out of no where. Sounds like a scam to me. Thanks to all who replied I really appreciate all of the information.

There is a windows 10 symbol on the lower left icon bar, near the date. It was on my computer when I bought it last year. Has anyone used that for the link?

Blog Entries
    Good info from all. I will wait for awhile and then take my laptop to the Geek Squad for them to do it. That's what I pay them.

Blog Entries
    My laptop also crashed when I downloaded windows 10. Have had nothing but headaches ever since.

Windows 10 is only an upgrade from the all the Win 7 or 8 operating systems. For about the next yr, you must register and get on the list for a FREE download. After registering, Microsoft will notify you when you can D/L your copy, and gives you the option of doing so immediately, or waiting for more convenient time. It took several hrs for me--my computer was away from the router and signal was not 100% constantly--but it never shut down. It was just a slow process. If your computer/laptop connects via your smart phone, etc....then you might have to pay a data fee to the provider. There are features I like, others I do not--but will work around that. I, however, choose to stay with Chrome browser rather than EDGE. I like to think I keep my privacy with Chrome (maybe just fooling myself!) I don't think I'll be using Cordana very much, either. But that's the way I "compute."

Our computer tech person told me that Windows 10 is really keeping them busy fixing customer problems. We just bought a MAC for the office, fed up with all the Microsoft 'updates' that don't work well, aren't as user friendly as advertised etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
    There is a windows 10 symbol on the lower left icon bar, near the date. It was on my computer when I bought it last year. Has anyone used that for the link?
    I got it too do the free upgrade from 7/8.1 to 10. You do have make sure no matter what one you have it has to have all of the latest updates and service packs. It automatically downloads your updates at the end of July but you have a year to install it. I haven't up grated yet, I'm waiting to make sure I have all of the updates and do a backup of laptop. I also want to set the restore points so that if I have any issues I can just go back to the previous restore point instead of installing 8.1 again. I have one laptop with 8.1 and one with 7, 7 I like but not so much on 8.1.

Not all programs are going to be compatible with 10 yet because its so new. We have lots of vender programs we use at the hospitals and the companies aren't setup for 10 yet. We are cautioning staff who have personal laptops not to upgrade or they won't be able to access via out web. This is for their personal pc's that they don't use for work, our companies laptops that we assign to users are set up not to allow any changes.

I want to download it onto my 7 but it'll be the last one I upgrade. I only want to do the free download while its free but will wait to install it until I feel like its doing well. I like 7 but not so much 8.1 so when I do upgrade, it'll be the first one to get it. You can also set up your software to run as if running on a different version of system, like 7 verses 8, this sometimes will work depending on the software.

No matter what you do, do a backup and set your restore point so that if any problems come up you can go back to the way you pc was before the upgrade
    Judy

Blog Entries
    I'm too afraid to download Windows 10. Have already heard and read too many horror stories.

Windows 8 is such an unfriendly system but finally after two years or so I can usually find my files - well sometimes. 8.1 wasn't a fix.

Not ready to have more problems.

I can't understand what the Windows people are thinking. Are they trying to drive us away. If so, they are doing a good job.

I would be interested to hear if anyone is happy with Windows 10.

Blog Entries
    I started running Windows 10 back in February as an "insider"
    technical reviewer.

A couple week ago I upgraded my laptop. So far I have not had
    ANY issues.

However this past Wednesday morning I go to work only to find
    that my boss had upgraded our work computers. Of the 6 computer
    only 3 took the upgrade without issues.

One of my co-workers didn't have a big enough hard drive to upgrade,
    but than his computer had issues trying to run all the programs that we
    need.

The shipping/receiving computer just wouldn't even start the upgrade
    (even though that computer was not old, or outdated).

Than there is MY computer, although it DID upgrade, it was discovered
    that my computer was only 32 bit (not 64 bit like the others), plus it has
    a horrible on-board video card. With that being said it looks like my computer
    is running in "safe mode" very hard to work when I spend most of my time
    scrolling the screen around to get to certain areas needed.

Boss went and bought 2 new computers Friday, so hopefully I will have
    another new computer this week. (The computer I am using is only 1 year old).

Every time I talked to the boss since Wednesday he just kept saying how
    sorry he was for messing up my computer.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

Blog Entries
    My computer repair person told me not to download yet. Let the others clean out the bugs. He has downloaded into one of his computers and told me that I do not need it now. Even though he is bald, he said let him pull out his hair instead of me. LOL And I listen to the radio, on sunday, to a man by the name of Leo LePort, was from RI (where I live) and now resides in California. He also said to wait.

Power Poster
    Why do the companies release these programs with so many glitches still in them?

It does not seem like a good way to win friends and influence people.

Blog Entries
    Ya think they would make them more (senior) female friendly! Like a step by step download. We do use our computers quite a bit, especially when it comes to quilting.

I downloaded it, worked great until Windows did updates. Then it crashed, I got it up and running. My embroidery software works which is good because that's the only reason I have a windows laptop. My wireless printer won't work with it. Microsoft tech told me my printer is old. I responded that I just bought it at the Microsoft store in July. I was then told I didn't install it correctly. Well it worked win Win 8.1. I have reverted back to Win 8 and everything is working perfectly. I'm so glad I use a MAC for my important stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast