Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Have you upgraded to Microsft 10???

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie_Sue View Post
    I am worried that my Embroidery Module 5D my not work if I change it. Have received notice I can upgrade to 10 free!!! What to do???
    I think the "free" if only for a free trial after which you have to buy it.
    Sally

I downloaded Windows 10, and am happy with it so far. Had Windows 7. My computer even works faster, and just needed to figure out where a couple of items went. Hopefully this will keep going ok.

I upgraded to Windows 10 and now can't get Electric Quilt 7 to work. SEW frustrated.
    Shirley in Arizona

I have it and so far no problems. I like it a lot better than Win 8.1.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Quote Originally Posted by selm View Post
    If you already run Win 7 or 8 versions, Win 10 is a free upgrade. No further costs.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieLou View Post
    If you already run Win 7 or 8 versions, Win 10 is a free upgrade. No further costs.
    Correct, altho there IS a free trial...I guess for people to just have a look around. I don't think Win 7 & 8 will be around forever, and after the ''free upgrade'', you'll have to pay for it. Of course, new computers are already being sold with 10 installed as the OS. Microsoft is in business to make money, so there will prob be a new OS just around the bend! I would have replaced my main computer with Mac, but none of my software would have installed on it. So that would have been big $$ for computer & big $$ for new software.

Windows 10 Upgrade

I am worried that my Embroidery Module 5D my not work if I change it. Have received notice I can upgrade to 10 free!!! What to do???
    I had my computer tech download mine a couple weeks ago. So far great! She personalized it for me for what I am used to. It does seem faster and am able to do a lot more things than I will probably do. Cannot use the voice recognition for help as I do not have a microphone. Lots of other things I will have to learn and experiment with but love it so far and not a problem one. Maybe better knock on wood! I did lose a few bookmarks but that seems to be all I have lost that I have found so far. Bookmarks can be redone. Good luck with yours and hope you can download with no problems when you get ready to do yours. I give it a thumbs up!

I got that same pop up window -- I closed it -- everyone I know who downloaded it had their computer crash! I can function on Windows 8.1 for a long time before I'm willing to upgrade.

I need a new computer, my Vista mother board died and I am using an old XP for now. I was waiting for 10 to come out and maybe another 6-9 months I will have money saved up and find what I want in a 10. Wish I had a 7, have heard nasty things about 8.1. Good thing I am on fixed income and patient. I figure by time I can afford a new one they should have the bugs out of 10. Will be watching to see what people think of 10.

I upgraded my Win 8 laptop and then downloaded Classic Shell to make it run more like Win 7. I was running Win 8.1 under Classic Shell also. Other than a very slow process (5 hours), I haven't had any problems. BUT on my main computer running Win 7, I'm going to wait until October. I read that there will be a large update then and some computer experts are recommending holding off until the major update is done. In the meantime I have to put up with the VERY ANNOYING Win 10 notification popup screen. I wish I could disable it.

Boy, I'm glad I'm not the only one that's had problems!!! It downloaded a week ago automatically! Talk about screwing up my computer!! It totally shut me down! I was afraid it had crashed/ruined my computer! I had to do a total restore! I have been so upset. I lost all my programs - had to reinstall from scratch! Even those have had problems reinstalling. Friday it took 7 hrs, YES, 7 hrs on the phone and computer with Microsoft in order to get things straightened out. First it was from 11:30 to 3, gave up, then decided to try again at 6:30, it was 10 til 10 when she finally got it to work!!! It's messed up my son's computer too. I really wondered if it was a scam, but all the 'info' was legit. The torment that it's caused me sure wasn't worth the 'new? version'!!! OH, best part? When I finally was able to get on chat w/Microsoft, I was #299!!! 6:30 to a little after 8 before a person ans'd!!!

I had Windows 8.1, downloaded Windows 10 and have had no problems. I will download it next week onto my husband's computer that still has Windows 7. It will be a big change for him to get used to, but, I'm sure sooner or later there will be no support for Windows 7 so we might as well get it while it is still FREE.

Blog Entries
    I reserved a copy but understand we can download later, so I think I might wait a little while.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Blog Entries
    My best advice to anyone not on 10 now .............WAIT!!! I upgraded to 10 a two wks ago today. It was fine, I liked it then my Start key would not function. Googled and found a fix, did what it said then did a restart and it worked. Yesterday my Start key wouldn't work again, restarted and all is fine. My friend on the other hand upgraded hers after hearing that I did and she's had nothing but problems. Her drop down window from doing a rt click won't stay open long enough to make a selection. She googled and found something to try which must have been a scam and it caused her computer to crash and not come back. I am loving Win 10 but think it would be very wise to have waited out the year to get my free copy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ View Post
    I upgraded to Windows 10 and now can't get Electric Quilt 7 to work. SEW frustrated.
    I upgraded to Windows 10 and EQ7 runs ok now. I did have to re-enter the security pass word. Had to dig out the disk, so I ran it for repairing any possible problems.
    Ken

I downloaded it to my husband's laptop last week, after I discussed with our techie person if I should or not. No problems after the initial long time to download, except for a problem with start up that I googled on my phone and fixed right away. I haven't put it on my laptop yet as it's in the shop for warranty work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by selm View Post
    No the free is for a full version and no later fees. Like I said, I signed up for the free version but will wait to actually install it. You do need to make sure you have the latest updates for 7 and 8.1, it will not work on xp. You can go to Microsoft and they'll scan your pc to check for potential issues with your system. You have one year to install it. We won't install it at work until all of our software companies have their systems compatible. no matter how good 10 may or may not be if it isn't compatible with what you use for business or pleasure it does no good. I'd check with Viking first to see if they've made 5D or 6D compatible yet. And go to Microsoft's web site and let them check your system. It only takes a few minutes and may avoid potential problems.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
    I upgraded my Win 8 laptop and then downloaded Classic Shell to make it run more like Win 7. I was running Win 8.1 under Classic Shell also. Other than a very slow process (5 hours), I haven't had any problems. BUT on my main computer running Win 7, I'm going to wait until October. I read that there will be a large update then and some computer experts are recommending holding off until the major update is done. In the meantime I have to put up with the VERY ANNOYING Win 10 notification popup screen. I wish I could disable it.
    I agree with disableing the popup, but at least its free. I'm willing to wait to download it as well. I just wanted to get it while it was free. I work with computers and know microsofts history so I'm always careful. I think they were offering this as free as a way to make up for 8,. I hadn't heard about the shell though. I have one with 7 and 1 with 8.1 and hate the way 8 is, can't find anything. Which is my only issue with it
    Judy

I upgraded with no problems. I agree with other posts that you need to check to be sure your software will be compatible with the upgrade. Gotta do your homework first.
    Jane

I got the same message on my laptop. I didn't upgrade to Microsoft 10, because I'm afraid that my EQ6 won't work with it.
    Sharon in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
    We did and I HATE it.
    Me too. I lost one of my big files from my desktop. Wish I had well enough alone.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

As I reported in my previous post, I downloaded Windows 10 and also have not been happy
    with it. I contacted my Son, (who is a software engineer) and asked if I could go back and he
    gave me this link, so I am going to do it.
    You can check it out here.http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-...dows-7-or-8.1/
    Hope this helps.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2