Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help! Need advice for closure for bag

Help! Need advice for closure for bag

I'm making a bag to put my stroller in to protect it for an airplane flight. It's basically a big ole pillow case. I made the bag with a heavy duty upholstery fabric. I put a draw string in it but it won't draw up due to, i'm assuming, the combination of the fabrics (cord and uphostery). What is the best way to close it up. My stroller weighs 32 lbs. The mouth of the bag is roughly 100 inches (very large bag lol) I was thinking maybe grommets but that means I would have to go buy everything to do that, or even a heavy duty zipper. The kind with the metal teeth. I'm not experienced with zippers but it shouldn't be to hard right?
    Thanks!
    My flight is on the 11th.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    I don't think a zipper will hold. I have made one but never had any trouble with it not drawing up.

My husband said to just go ahead and cut slits in it. It seems like it is a real sturdy fabric. I may just have to do it out of necessity. My 2 month old baby and I hit so many stores today I never made it to Joanns. I may try and go tomorrow and get the grommet pliers and buy some grommets from Lowes or Home depot.
    Thanks Amyjo!

How about using Velcro or something like it? It's easy to sew on and quick to open and close.
    Sally

Blog Entries
    I think I had the same problem a few years back. I ended up flipping the seam to the outside (sewing) and threaded the drawstring through that. Good luck!
    Go forth and sew!

Power Poster
    I was going to say velcro also!
    SueDor

Industrial strength velcro! You will have to shop around because the fabric shops don't usually carry it. You can probably order it online. I have been told that flag making shops use it, and will sell it to you.