Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Hepatitis C and Liver Support >

Hepatitis C and Liver Support

Hepatitis C and Liver Support

Old 04-17-2010, 07:22 AM
Banned

I realize that this is not a medical forum however I have looked at some of the medical forums and I didn't care for them for various reasons. This forum seems to discuss alot of different topics and everyone seems very smart about these type topics so here goes. This is not for pity but for knowledge and support from others that may have Hepatitis C. I found out that I had it about 12 years ago. I never did drugs, tattoos, etc where needles are used. They only way I could have gotten this was from either a dentist, doctor, hospital surgeries, etc. but thats not important now. I had a liver biopsy done about 2 years ago and my liver was in very good condition except for fatty liver. I have my blood checked every 6 months. This last time my liver enzymes were elevated. My PCP is sending me back to the gastro and it may now be time to start treatments for the first time. Other than some joint pain and some discomfort in the liver area I feel fine. This is the reason I started the thread about taking pills for depression because everything you put in your mouth goes thru the liver. I don't even take anything for a headache unless I have to because I'm scared to death that it will make my liver enzymes go up. Just curious if there are others on here that have this disease and would like to support each other? Have you been thru the treatment? I would like to hear your story. This is not easy for me to talk about publicly. There is not many people that even knows I have it but now everyone will know. :lol:
Old 04-17-2010, 07:47 AM

I personally don't know anything about this ailment but wish you well...
Old 04-17-2010, 08:17 AM

My DH also has Hep C. So far everything is OK though. This was a very informative site for me.

http://www.beincharge.com/bic/application

I have a document that are good foods for your liver. Its never too late, you know. I try to include some of these items for DH. I'm going to attach it. Hope it works, if not, PM with your e-mail and I'll send it to you.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Attachment-63234.doc (60.5 KB, 217 views)
Old 04-17-2010, 08:44 AM

Thank you for the download. I had stage 3 colon cancer 12 yrs ago and try to be conscious about what I need to eat to keep liver working properly.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
My DH also has Hep C. So far everything is OK though. This was a very informative site for me.

http://www.beincharge.com/bic/application

I have a document that are good foods for your liver. Its never too late, you know. I try to include some of these items for DH. I'm going to attach it. Hope it works, if not, PM with your e-mail and I'll send it to you.
Thanks for the replies. Has your husband been thru the treatments? The document won't open for me. I will pm you. Foods is one of the things I was wanting to learn about. What to eat and what not to eat......... I have so many questions inside! :lol: What about milk thistle? Does anyone take it? How much? I have taken it since I found out I had this. And what about detoxing the liver? Is there anything to that? I've heard lemon water was good so I drink it daily. There is so much to learn.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Banned

Go to the health food store and get dessicated liver, it comes in a pill. There is no cure but the dessicated will repair the liver. Believe me this will work. Also red clover tea along with honey.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by trupeach1
Go to the health food store and get dessicated liver, it comes in a pill. There is no cure but the dessicated will repair the liver. Believe me this will work. Also red clover tea along with honey.
Thanks, I will check it out. A doctor told me recently that there is a new treatment out now that is a cure. But then another doctor tells me there is no cure. Its very confusing. :roll:
Old 04-17-2010, 11:45 AM

Hey Marsye, I know we usually joke around on here but this isn't a joking matter so I won't. I don't know anything about Hep-C but I do know that whatever holistic medicine, herbal tea or OTC pill you take be sure to inform your doctor. Some "natural" remedies have reactions with meds making the meds weaker or stronger than they should be. Like eating grapefruit with Lipitor---big no no. Personally I love the herbal, home remedies but I check them out first with my doc to make sure that they won't interact badly with my Lisinopril and Cylexa. Hang in there and know that we'll be praying for you.

The other thing is this: When my mother was 36 she was diagnosed with Lupus. She was told by her doctors that she was going to die, that the longest anyone had ever lived after diagnosis was 8 years. They were right, Mom did die---at 75 years old of a heart attack. Doctors don't always have the correct answers-- your own attitude and will power plays a big role.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by raptureready

The other thing is this: When my mother was 36 she was diagnosed with Lupus. She was told by her doctors that she was going to die, that the longest anyone had ever lived after diagnosis was 8 years. They were right, Mom did die---at 75 years old of a heart attack. Doctors don't always have the correct answers-- your own attitude and will power plays a big role.

My Grandmother had cancer the doc opened her up and closed her the cancer was to far gone to even remove it. They never expected her to leave the hoptial alive. My cousin was born in the same hospital NY Hospital/ Sloan kettering while my Grandma was there. Granny was taken to see her grandson, she kew it was the one and only time she would except................she didn't die, Granny was at my cousins wedding 28 years later and lived to see his 2 sons. What killed her at age 88 was heat stroke. NY was having a heat wave and even though she had air conditioning (she lived in the top floor of her building) the air conditioning was not enough the apartment got too hot and that is what took her life.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by raptureready
Hey Marsye, I know we usually joke around on here but this isn't a joking matter so I won't. I don't know anything about Hep-C but I do know that whatever holistic medicine, herbal tea or OTC pill you take be sure to inform your doctor. Some "natural" remedies have reactions with meds making the meds weaker or stronger than they should be. Like eating grapefruit with Lipitor---big no no. Personally I love the herbal, home remedies but I check them out first with my doc to make sure that they won't interact badly with my Lisinopril and Cylexa. Hang in there and know that we'll be praying for you.

I ain't going anywhere...I have too many orders to do! :lol:

I'm sure glad your mother proved them wrong. I'm hoping I can do the same! :thumbup:

My doctors know everything I take which is no more than I have to. I have always had a good attitude about this and try to stay positive. I've had 2 or 3 doctors tell me that my liver is not what I'm gonna die from because its in good shape so I'm hoping at least one of them is right. And if I die... well lets just say I'll be in good hands. GOD'S I hope!!!! ;) :thumbup: