Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm QUITTING and need your support

After being on this board for a month or so - I have found that this is a VERY supportive group. So - I'm asking for your support and encouragement. I AM GOING TO QUIT SMOKING!!!!!

I have been smoking for 25+ years and I've finally made up my mind that enough is enough. :evil: With the economy they way it is, we can sure use that money other places (quilt fabric) lol and with my allergies it's just not worth it!! (That's what I keep telling myself) So anyway, tomorrow morning I start on Chantix (sp?). I'm going to try to keep my mind and hands busy (maybe I'll get more of my WIP's done) and not take as many smoke breaks so it won't be so hard on day 8 when I have to stop completly.

Any and all encouragement will be GREATLY appreciated. I will keep you updated as to my progress.

Piedmont Quilter
    Rebecca

Soon to be ~ SMOKE FREE!!

I will be praying that you are successful at quitting!!!

YAY!!! Best wishes to you as you quit smoking!!! I know it's not easy, but you can do it!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Oh I am so PROUD of you!!!! I am not a smoker and never have been but I have my own issues with being overweight so I do understand the compulsion to do something you know is bad for you.
    Over eating is hard to control in that food is not something you can just stop using!!

Good for you!!! I hope and pray you make a clean break from smoking that will last the rest of your life!!

YOU CAN DO IT! Praying for you to succeed to get this "monkey" off your back!!

Just think for every pack you don't buy, that's a yard of fabric you can buy!!!
    Gee, almost makes me wish I still smoked..... :twisted:

GOOD FOR YOU! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

When I was trying to lose weight a few years ago, I would allow myself a yard of fabric for every pound I lost. I lost 30 lbs. and let me tell you, that was ALOT of fabric.
    Since having a baby, maybe I need to try that motivation again????
    Rose Hall
    ps.for every pack you DON'T smoke, buy some fabric!!!!

Good for you. I am not a smoker and never have been but my weakness is
    MOCHAS. I spend approx. $300 a month at the coffee shop (like Starbucks)

I just told my husband this morning that I've got to stop. Even though this may seem like alot of money, it is usually all I have for breakfast and lunch.
    I am going to start making breakfast and lunch and no more Mochas.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

Congratulations on your resolve to stop! Step one!
    Never smoked myself, but I'm the only one in the family who didn't. But I BUY FABRIC! :lol:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Piedmont Quilter
    I've finally made up my mind that enough is enough.
    Soon to be ~ SMOKE FREE!
    THAT, my dear, is all you need: the mindset that says I'm done, a supportive group that helps you through the rough time, and a change in verbiage from "soon to be" to I AM A NON-SMOKER!

I quit cold turkey (1.5 pack/day habit) in November of '85. (After my beloved Grandpa died from lung cancer.) I decided to take a zero tolerance position. It takes about 17 days for the nicotine to leave your body and the rest is habit. I would suggest that you remove any of the things that remind you of smoking from your line of sight (ash trays, lighters, etc.) Have a substitute available to fill the oral fixation (my MIL used hard-candy suckers).

You can do this! Really.
    I was amzed at how desensitized my nose had become AND how salty and spicy my food had become as a smoker. The benefits far outweigh the discomfort.

Hang in there.

It will be hard, but you can and WILL do it!!! Congrats!

Chantix worked well for my DH. You go girl! More money for fabric. That's a win win. :D

Thanks everyone for the supportive comments. I hope ~ no ~ I CAN do this and your encouragement means so much. Will update you though the process.

PQ

Way to go PQ! You're already at least half-way there by asking for help! Oooohhh! I can just here all that 100% cotton calling you....Ppppppp....QQQqqqqqqqqqqqq....PPPPPPPPppppp pppppp.....QQQQQqqqqqqqqqqqqqq!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

Thats brilliant news Rebecca

DH gave up November last year with the assistance of patches. He's constantly telling everyone just how much he has saved. So much so he's even been able to buy a new car & still manages to save as well.
    Your be amazed at just how much your sense of smell will improve too.

Think positive & your get there - if you get the urge I read somewhere to start doing something & within 2 mins you won't even remember that you were wanting a cigarette.

Good Luck I'll be thinking of you. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Tisha

Good luck! You can do it!

Here Here

Tisha

Power Poster
    It can be done.

You've already taken the first step - YOU WANT TO.

My sister-in-law and brother-in-law were both several pack a day smokers and they both quit cold turkey. They had health issues that sort of forced the issue, but I never ever ever thought that either one would or could quit. They've both been non-smoking for several years now.

Some sort of reward system is good. If your budget is low, give yourself a star - for whatever time frame works for you.

I remember getting stars by my name when I was in grade school. Is that still done?

I'm here for you! I lived with a smoker for 7 years and I fear I will get cancer from his second hand smoke (wouldn't that be the ultimate revenge- we divorced ages ago).

Sending you hugs and prayers that you'll "stay on the wagon."

Oh, Rebecca, any smoker can tell you it's not an easy thing to do, BUT IT CAN BE DONE. I for one smoked for well over 30 years, except when I was pregnant, and finally quit 2 1/2 years ago. I'm happy to report no humans or animals were harmed during my cessation period. :lol: Can't give you a miracle cure, but what helped me tremendously was visualization. It may sound a little hokie, but everytime I thought of a cigarette, smelled one or even saw someone with one, I would make myself take a few of the deepest breaths I could and visualize clean and healing air filling my lungs and then I would slowly exhale. It always took that knee-jerk reaction of needing a cigarette away. To this day I still have to do it occasionally when I get a whiff of one. Good luck to you, Lady. We're here for you.

Rebecca (a.k.a. Ducky)

OK, I have been down this road. First their is no one way to do it, distraction helps, but remember not to force yourself to do things you usually associate with smoking..... like don't take a long car ride if you are used to smoking in the car. For me it was sitting at a keyboard, I was so used to having that ash tray next to me.

My approach was to cut back gradually. I didn't so much say, OK, today is 12 cigarette day. I just made myself think about every smoke I had, how many times do you light up when you are doing something else. So I wouldn't smoke unless I could enjoy it since I knew my days were numbered. Eventually I was only having a few a day. From there it wasn't a long stretch to quitting. I also took up knitting... a lot. It was important for me to keep my hands busy. It has been about seven years for me.

My husband has been using Chantix for a few months now, he's not had a cigarette for about six weeks. He said to warn you about the weird dreams, I have heard that is common side effect.

More than anything you just have to want to be a non-smoker.
    Good luck, if I can do it, anybody can do it, beleive me, I am weak.

Quote Originally Posted by OHSue
    OK, I have been down this road. First their is no one way to do it, distraction helps, but remember not to force yourself to do things you usually associate with smoking..... like don't take a long car ride if you are used to smoking in the car. For me it was sitting at a keyboard, I was so used to having that ash tray next to me.

My approach was to cut back gradually. I didn't so much say, OK, today is 12 cigarette day. I just made myself think about every smoke I had, how many times do you light up when you are doing something else. So I wouldn't smoke unless I could enjoy it since I knew my days were numbered. Eventually I was only having a few a day. From there it wasn't a long stretch to quitting. I also took up knitting... a lot. It was important for me to keep my hands busy. It has been about seven years for me.

My husband has been using Chantix for a few months now, he's not had a cigarette for about six weeks. He said to warn you about the weird dreams, I have heard that is common side effect.

More than anything you just have to want to be a non-smoker.
    Good luck, if I can do it, anybody can do it, beleive me, I am weak.
    For me, it's driving. As soon as I pull out of the drive. That is one I'll have to work really hard on. As for the dreams ~ I've had and lot of people tell me the same thing. Last fall when I was taking the chantix I couldn't even tell other than the fact that the urge to smoke was not a frequent. I hope it is the same this time. I'll Let everyone know.

Thanks again for all the support. I do have a "buddy" during this that is wanting to quit. We both start tomorrow. You guys and gals are the only ones that know. I havn't told my family ~ going to wait and see how long it takes them to realize what is going on.

PQ

Blog Entries
    This is going to hurt but it's doable I'm 61 and have been smoking since i was 16. I just quit in January ,some days I still just want a cigarette but here is the big one I can walk to the end of the driveway and get the mail and still breath . Remember quit while you can still breath you will never regret itI swear----I promise :wink:

Like Madquilter, I quit cold turkey about 30 years ago. I was smoking a pack a day and it wasn't easy but it wasn't as hard as you might think. Not only will you feel better but you'll live longer. I have friends who have used Chantix and it works great. Good luck to you and my prayers are with you

Been there!! I smoke for close to 35 years and I use Chantix and quit!!!
    I had took the chantix for about 1 1/2 weeks and I notice everytime I smoke a cigarette I got nauseated and I really just didn't want another cigarette...it will be 2 years this October.......I tried a 100 other times,
    Good Luck!!!

Whooo Hooo! COngrats on quiting!! When ever you are having a bad moment when you just need a cigarette, just come on here and read all the positive responses!!..

Kyia

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast