home security

Old 11-22-2013, 07:22 AM

Default home security

My husband and I are going to warmer area for a few months.Was wondering what other people do to protect their home while away. We live out of town with homes around us but the home next door is empty. Do we need a home security system? There's not a hugh amount of crime in the area. Any replys would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:35 AM

I've always heard that you can tell your local police department about your plans. However, I have never done it or needed to do it.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

Home security would be nice, gives you peace of mind.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

Depending on how friendly you are with your neighbors, let them park one of their vehicles in your drive near the garage at different intervals. When they do that, ask them to pick up your mail or newspaper and put it into a basket provided for them. We used to do that for one of our neighbors. I do that for a friend of mine when she goes out of town. Sometimes I'll stay longer than other times. I tend to her cat. Always good to know your neighbors to a certain extent. Co workers you can trust. In a remote area where your neighbors are not so close, I would definitely invest in security systems. Empty houses invite trouble. If you know the owner or don't know the owner, I would make an effort to find out about the house situation. Whoever takes care of the yard of the empty house maybe they will mow your yard also or have a trusted friend mow it. I would have a housekeeping company come in and clean once every 3-4 weeks. It will get dusty. An "empty house" is an open invitation for vandalism and theft. Lock away all valuables in a lockbox at your financial institution (bank/credit union).
Old 11-22-2013, 10:08 AM

Invest in timers to turn your lights on and off at different intervals too.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

It's not a bad idea to install a home security system. It's not quite as expensive as you might think, as your home insurance will give you a rebate if you have an active security system in place. It's like any other insurance; you pay out and get nothing back if it is never needed, but it makes a disaster less of a disaster. It doesn't just monitor criminal activity either; it will call the fire department if smoke is detected. For myself, if I were paying to live in a warmer climate for a few months out of the year, I would consider a home security system part of the cost of the trip.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:02 AM

Above all, do NOT post when you're planning to be out of town. Don't post here, don't post to FB.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:27 AM

If you do decide to invest in a security system be sure to put their signs out front & stickers on your windows. That itself can be a deterrent.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:22 PM

We have security cameras that we can access remotely with our cell phones or on computer. We got ours at Costco. Also, we have an alarm system that calls us first then the sheriffs. They also call our neighbors who we have on a list and they will come over and check things out, probably arriving before the police. There really isn't much else you can do except have a house sitter there.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
Invest in timers to turn your lights on and off at different intervals too.
I agree and it also helps to have a TV or radio on so that they think someone is home !! Make sure there are different lights going on at different time.