Hospital bed

Old 10-24-2016, 07:45 AM

Default Hospital bed

My husband has recently had multiple hospital stays and he always had the overbed table loaded with phone, tv remote, nurse call light, bed control, Kleenex, etc. Most had to be moved when it was meal time. I seem to remember seeing something that you hang on the side rail to hold most of the controls but cannot find the pattern. Can anyone help me? We anticipate more hospital admissions and this would be so helpful...would also make for a nice gift instead of flowers for patients. Thank you in advance.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:22 AM

Could you use or adapt this pattern? This is from another conversation on the board about snaps, and is designed for use with walkers, but I bet it might work for the rails on the bed.

http://www.laurassewingstudio.com/Se...alker_bag.html
Old 10-24-2016, 08:23 AM

Isn't there a pattern out there for walkers? I don't know where I saw it, but that would work. You may have to shorten the piece that goes around a bar.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by gingerd View Post
Isn't there a pattern out there for walkers? I don't know where I saw it, but that would work. You may have to shorten the piece that goes around a bar.
I found an easy pattern on Youtube for walker bags.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:42 AM

Here are some pictures from Pinterest that might give you some ideas. I think that Saddlebag one is cute.

https://www.pinterest.com/ginapatton/hospital-bed-organizer/

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/bedside-caddy/

Last edited by osewme; 10-24-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

Sorry to hear your husband will need one! I would also go with a walker pattern and just shorten it. Side ties will help keep it in place. Make sure the top tabs have sturdy fasteners ( heavy Velcro) in case he overloads it. Finally, make sure you put his name on it!
Old 10-24-2016, 06:30 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I've also been thinking a lot about this need as I expect hip replacement in the new year. Fighting the TV remote, the phone receiver, the nurse call bell, my book, my phone, my water bottle (I don't drink city water in the pitchers) all the time in a bed when I could barely turn over in that first 48-72 hours is really annoying!!

I've decided to add a carabiner clip or even a shower curtain ring to whatever it is I make/buy so I can quickly remove something I need to keep close at hand -- like my extender-picker-upper. I remember always dropping things last time and it drove me nuts until Mother brought a second one I could use to pick up the first one when I dropped it!

I finally bought a fabric covered divided box for my bedside table at home to hold many small things -- pill bottles, inhaler, nail clippers, chapstik, reading glasses, notepad and pencil, back-scratcher, book, etc..... Guess that will go with me to sit on the pull-over table tray at the hospital.

Jan in VA
Old 10-24-2016, 06:40 PM

Here's one from AllFreeSewing http://www.allfreesewing.com/Sew-for...side-Organizer
Old 10-25-2016, 08:18 AM

If all else fails, purchase a sturdy clear plastic shoe bag and drape it over the side of the bed. Just collapse the pockets not needed.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

No matter what you choose to do just make sure his name is securely on it in acouple different places. Amazing how personal items grow legs.