Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hospital bed quilt

hospital bed quilt

Has anyone made a quilt that would fit a hospital bed? I need some suggestions please for a quilt pattern that would fit this size of bed.
    Lise

Won't a twin size fit??
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Hospital beds are twin size. But wouldn't you want something the person could take home and use? In that case I would make it at least double size. Plus, you'd want something to wrap up in - so again, double size. A double size quilt could be placed on top of a queen size bed without much trouble, although it might not be comfortable for two people in a queen sized bed to use, unless it were turned sideways.

Twin beds are 39", double 59", queen 65"? All beds are 78-80" long. Then you have to decide how much drop you want on each side. I would do a minimum of 12", probably 18".

So, if you really want to do a twin size, I'd do75" wide, 98" long
    For double, I'd do minimum 84 x 98", better 96 x 104"

Blog Entries
    DM and I used twin quilts for my DF's bed for many years. I still have the well worn resulting quilts.

For a hospital bed you actually want it narrower than a twin so it doesn't hang off the edge much and get caught in the bed mechanism.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by charsuewilson View Post
    Hospital beds are twin size. But wouldn't you want something the person could take home and use? In that case I would make it at least double size. Plus, you'd want something to wrap up in - so again, double size. A double size quilt could be placed on top of a queen size bed without much trouble, although it might not be comfortable for two people in a queen sized bed to use, unless it were turned sideways.

Twin beds are 39", double 59", queen 65"? All beds are 78-80" long. Then you have to decide how much drop you want on each side. I would do a minimum of 12", probably 18".

So, if you really want to do a twin size, I'd do75" wide, 98" long
    For double, I'd do minimum 84 x 98", better 96 x 104"
    If you google "mattress sizes" - there are a lot of charts for the sizes.

If I were using a hospital bed, I would find out what size spreads the hospital uses and make it about that size -
    I'm guessing about about 60 x 90 - 10 inch overhang on each side and about 15 inches longer than the mattress.

Blog Entries
    I'm aiming for 66X86 for the one I'm working on now.

sizing

I spent three months in one. less wide is correct mechanisms catch things and its ruined. Also is this a bed in the hospital? or one at home? In the senior home they took them and didnt always return them to you frustrating I would think even if you mark what room/bed. At home still skinnier. also weight is a consideration. lighter you can layer too thick it might get tossed a lot. My sis went to the closet for a throw blanket forme they had and there were DOZENS of hand made quilts in there. she picked one for me then we read it was for someones specific bed and the nurse said oh dont worry they dont care. how lovely what about the person who MADE it for them? they might care. argh. I liked long enough to cover my toes but light enough to move on my own. just food for thought good luck and how kind of you to do this.
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

must be washable--the look is important as it cuts the blandness of white every where--light in weight--none slip back[flanalett]---do not hang over side too much as it becomes a trip hazzard for staff and patients

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    For a hospital bed you actually want it narrower than a twin so it doesn't hang off the edge much and get caught in the bed mechanism.
    A regular twin sized fitted sheet will not fit on a hospital bed... linens for this mattress need to be longer and narrower than twin size. Most stores carry this size when they feature back to school specials as this is the most used for dorm rooms.

Bed Sizes Mattress Sizes Flat Sheet Sizes Fitted Sheet Sizes

Hospital Twin 80" x 30" 104" x 60" 80" x 30"
    Hospital Twin XL 84" x 30" 108" x 60" / 115" x 60" 84" x 30"
    Hospital 75" x 36" 104" x 66" 75" x 36"
    Hospital XL 80" x 36" 104" x 66" 80" x 36"
    Hospital XXL 84" x 36" 108" x 66" / 115" x 66" 84" x 36"

I found this too...39"x84" however many make the quilts 4' wide (48") by 6' long (72") or 7' long (84") depending on how tall the person is. Hope that helps!!! Also, embroider the person's name and possibly your phone number so if it gets lost they can return it. Hope that helps!!!

Power Poster
    Can you measure the bed/mattress? Or have someone measure it for you?

Blog Entries
    we had one delivered to our home but my hubby refused to use it and it went back. anyway, I put a twin fitted sheet on the mattress and it made the mattress bend up a bit on both ends. so it's a tad longer than a regular twin bed mattress.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I just spent 14 days in the hospital and I took my twin size quilt with me to but on my bed. It fit the bed alright.
    "Our deeds determine us as much as we determine our deeds" George Eliot

Blog Entries
    I agree with the others who say to make it narrower. One of my quilting friends is a full-time nurse AND also quilts about 30 quilts a month for terminally ill patients. (Yes, she DOES have tights and a cape.) Anyway, she requests hospital quilts be no wider than 45".

Why didn't I think of this!? My DH's grandmother is permanently in a hospital bed now. Thankfully my MIL is able to care for her in her home so no worries of quilt "misplacement" - I bet Grandma would LOVE a light, easily-washed quilt sized just right for her bed! I made a warm throw blanket for her at Christmas (before she was permanently bedridden) and she is so proud of it, she told me that nobody had EVER made a quilt for her!! (It made me cry! She's an amazing woman and I love her like she's my own grandma.) I can make another one for her that could be used in warmer months and that would be more practical for her new situation! I am positive that she would appreciate it. (What more can a quilter ask for?)

Thanks for all the measurements & ideas. This also makes me think I should google for measurements for a small lap blanket suitable for when she's in the wheelchair. I'm sure she HAS blankets, but not cheery, home-made-with-love ones!

Hospital beds are twin size but need LONGER bedding. I made quilts for my Father's bed
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Thanks for all the measurements & ideas. This also makes me think I should google for measurements for a small lap blanket suitable for when she's in the wheelchair. I'm sure she HAS blankets, but not cheery, home-made-with-love ones![/QUOTE]

Suggestion for the wheelchair lap cover, sew Velcro loops onto the edge about at the middle to end on the sides so these can go around the arm rails and actually stay on her lap and not fall off or get caught in the wheels. I have made ones like this for my GF sons and fir our own DD, both who are in wheelchairs.

LaQuita (aka) - Yai-Yai to the most precious grandbaby around of course I'm partial! LOL

HAPPY QUILTING!
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/shea

We made several dozen "Comfort Quilts" for the local hospital. They ask that they be 40 X 60 inches. That is not very big, but they are not meant to be tucked under. We made them according to the directions we were given.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I like a twin or throw size because we use them when we are not feeling well on the sofa.

Wish I could help you but the thought is soooooo sweet.

Blog Entries
    When my mom was in the hospital for last cancer surgery a quild gave all cancer pts a flannel rag quilt for their beds. 6 3/4" squares, one square hung over each side and it came about 3/4's of the way to the top. Batting and backed with flannel. Only 3/4's to the top was nice because it didn't interfere with cardio wires, good size when sitting in the chair or chair at home and it did not always slip off her lap like the hospital blankets do. It's been almost 3 yrs. It's used daily at my house, sits on the back of the couch-it's washed pretty much wkly since my English bulldog is always pulling it off the back to lay her head on. Who says those big ugly mean looking dogs aren't couch potatoes!~ lol It still looks as good as the day mom got it.,

Quote Originally Posted by LAQUITA View Post
    Suggestion for the wheelchair lap cover, sew Velcro loops onto the edge about at the middle to end on the sides so these can go around the arm rails and actually stay on her lap and not fall off or get caught in the wheels. I have made ones like this for my GF sons and fir our own DD, both who are in wheelchairs.

What a great idea - thank you! They have to hire a service to take her anywhere in the wheelchair, so if the blanket can stay put on its own that will be a really good thing.

Dad is with us and using a hospital bed. The one he has is a long twin from Hospice and I have to use long twin mattress pads as well as long twin sheets. We are in FL and he prefers a lighter cover; right now crocheted afghans and light quilts. And, interestingly, he does not want to be covered past his hips except with the sheet. Oh, and not a lot of weight on his feet.

Am I having fun? But if it helps you, that's good.

Blessings, Pat

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast