Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   hospital bed quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hospital-bed-quilt-t223129.html)

honeybee_2000 06-06-2013 03:53 PM

hospital bed quilt

Has anyone made a quilt that would fit a hospital bed? I need some suggestions please for a quilt pattern that would fit this size of bed.

valleyquiltermo 06-06-2013 03:57 PM

Won't a twin size fit??

charsuewilson 06-06-2013 04:18 PM

Hospital beds are twin size. But wouldn't you want something the person could take home and use? In that case I would make it at least double size. Plus, you'd want something to wrap up in - so again, double size. A double size quilt could be placed on top of a queen size bed without much trouble, although it might not be comfortable for two people in a queen sized bed to use, unless it were turned sideways.

Twin beds are 39", double 59", queen 65"? All beds are 78-80" long. Then you have to decide how much drop you want on each side. I would do a minimum of 12", probably 18".

So, if you really want to do a twin size, I'd do75" wide, 98" long
For double, I'd do minimum 84 x 98", better 96 x 104"

nanacc 06-06-2013 04:22 PM

DM and I used twin quilts for my DF's bed for many years. I still have the well worn resulting quilts.

Scissor Queen 06-06-2013 06:46 PM

For a hospital bed you actually want it narrower than a twin so it doesn't hang off the edge much and get caught in the bed mechanism.

bearisgray 06-06-2013 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by charsuewilson (Post 6107805)
Hospital beds are twin size. But wouldn't you want something the person could take home and use? In that case I would make it at least double size. Plus, you'd want something to wrap up in - so again, double size. A double size quilt could be placed on top of a queen size bed without much trouble, although it might not be comfortable for two people in a queen sized bed to use, unless it were turned sideways.

Twin beds are 39", double 59", queen 65"? All beds are 78-80" long. Then you have to decide how much drop you want on each side. I would do a minimum of 12", probably 18".

So, if you really want to do a twin size, I'd do75" wide, 98" long
For double, I'd do minimum 84 x 98", better 96 x 104"

If you google "mattress sizes" - there are a lot of charts for the sizes.

If I were using a hospital bed, I would find out what size spreads the hospital uses and make it about that size -
I'm guessing about about 60 x 90 - 10 inch overhang on each side and about 15 inches longer than the mattress.

irishrose 06-06-2013 07:26 PM

I'm aiming for 66X86 for the one I'm working on now.

Elisabrat 06-06-2013 07:37 PM

sizing

I spent three months in one. less wide is correct mechanisms catch things and its ruined. Also is this a bed in the hospital? or one at home? In the senior home they took them and didnt always return them to you frustrating I would think even if you mark what room/bed. At home still skinnier. also weight is a consideration. lighter you can layer too thick it might get tossed a lot. My sis went to the closet for a throw blanket forme they had and there were DOZENS of hand made quilts in there. she picked one for me then we read it was for someones specific bed and the nurse said oh dont worry they dont care. how lovely what about the person who MADE it for them? they might care. argh. I liked long enough to cover my toes but light enough to move on my own. just food for thought :) good luck and how kind of you to do this.

jemma 06-07-2013 04:22 AM

must be washable--the look is important as it cuts the blandness of white every where--light in weight--none slip back[flanalett]---do not hang over side too much as it becomes a trip hazzard for staff and patients

Lucio 06-07-2013 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 6108113)
For a hospital bed you actually want it narrower than a twin so it doesn't hang off the edge much and get caught in the bed mechanism.

A regular twin sized fitted sheet will not fit on a hospital bed... linens for this mattress need to be longer and narrower than twin size. Most stores carry this size when they feature back to school specials as this is the most used for dorm rooms.