Hot Pads

Old 09-28-2016, 10:40 AM

Default Hot Pads

I love making these hot pads. My mother-in-law had some years & years ago & when I was first married I asked her how she made them. She described the frame/loom that she used & a cousin made one for me & she taught me how to make them. All of hers were made with white yarn but I started making my in colors. I get two different skeins of yarn & make one with one color & tie it off with the other color & then I make the other one in the color I tied the first one off with & tie it off with the other skein. So for these I made one in the solid teal & tied it off with the variegated yarn & then made the second one with the variegated yarn & tied it off with the teal yarn. I can't even begin to tell you how many I've made for wedding gifts. This is a set for my DD because she loves them. I included a picture of the frame/loom I use to make them on (it's over 50 years old now) made with plywood & finishing nails. When they are finished I cut them off the frame & comb the edges to make them fuzzy.
Attached Thumbnails hot-pads.jpg  
Old 09-28-2016, 10:42 AM

Beautiful hot pads! Almost too pretty to use.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:46 AM

Nammie, that's what a lot of people say but they just last forever and do a great job. After washed a few times, they don't have the fuzzy look around them anymore but that's o.k. They also shrink up a bit after washing so you can't "see through" them as the weave tightens up. I use mine all the time
Old 09-28-2016, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

I love them! Next time you do one, can you do a picture tutorial or is there a YouTube video?
Old 09-28-2016, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

there are tutorials just Google or go to YouTube and type in woven hotpads. You can also pick up small kits at JoAnn's
Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I love them! Next time you do one, can you do a picture tutorial or is there a YouTube video?
Old 09-28-2016, 12:35 PM

Not sure if I could do a picture tutorial but did find some tutorials. I did find this company who sell these plastic looms that look about the same. Scroll down a little to see it.

http://www.knittingloomfactory.com/l...ons-john-alan/

Here's a pretty good tutorial on how to make them. My loom's nails are closer together than on the video, thus making for tighter pads. I try to put 4 or 5 yarn layers on mine to give the pads the thickness that I like. I also cut my yarn off where it loops around the nails instead of slipping them off (thus leaving little loops around the edges).

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...=0&FORM=VDQVAP

Last edited by osewme; 09-28-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

I love them. make me one!!! they are so beautiful and unique. next time, can you give us a tute on these wonderful pads. Ilove the colors, and could picture them in many different colorways. Where can we get a loom like that? I need to get one of these. Does it take practice to get them looking that great, or is a simple thing? I think it would be a fun thing to make over the winter months watching tv. they are wonderful.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:52 PM

lynnie, I make them in all different colors. If they are gifts I try to find out what the kitchen colors are & try to match that. I've made them red & green for Christmas before also. The looms in the link on my previous post seem to have the little posts very far apart. Mine are about 1/2" apart & there are a total of 66 finishing nails on my entire loom and they stick up about 3/4" to 1/2" tall. The loom in the link I sent has 48 pegs on it. Each side of my loom measures 6 1/4" long (the outside dimension) & the loom is 1 3/8" wide. Maybe you could get someone to make one for you. Mine is out of a solid piece of plywood. Hope this helps you some.
They are not hard to make & doesn't take much practice but are time consuming when it comes to tying them off. I watch t.v. while making them.

Last edited by osewme; 09-28-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:11 PM
KLO

These looms are called (or used to be called) Money looms. My Dad made a couple of sizes of these. A year or two ago I gave them to the neighbor girl. Don't know if she used them or not. They do make very sturdy hot pads for sure and yours look great!
Old 09-28-2016, 02:04 PM

I don't use a shuttle when tying mine off. I just pull out a lengthy piece of yarn & use a very large eyed (tapestry..blunt point) needle. When I get to close to the end of my yarn I just tie another piece on & continue on tying off. I manipulate the knot so it ends up on the back side of the hot pad.