Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do I use a hemmer foot? >

How do I use a hemmer foot?

How do I use a hemmer foot?

Old 10-09-2015, 12:53 PM

Default How do I use a hemmer foot?

I'm doing a project for someone that requires a wide ruffle, so I have to put a narrow hem along both edges. I've been trying to practice on scraps using the hemmer foot, but can't seem to get the hang of it. Any suggestions?
Old 10-09-2015, 02:55 PM

For a ruffle I would just make a narrow hem on both sides simply turning it over twice and straight stitch it. I have used my hemming foot for deeper hems, such as curtains or clothing. I just followed the instructions that came with my machine. I think it takes a fair amount of fabric to fold back for a hem. Just my thoughts and probably doesn't really help you much . Good luck with your project.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:58 PM
Power Poster

Check your manual. My manual for my 401 shows how to use it. You could probably find on line on you Tube or Google.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

What machine are you using? I would just use my regular foot and turn over twice the very edge and straight stitch. I would then run a large stitch down the strip and pull the bobbin thread to gather. Once it's gathered, sew to the garment.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:22 PM
Power Poster

What I have done in the past (alas, many years ago!) was to stitch a line 1/4" from the edge, take to ironing board and iron the fabric along that line (just barely hiding the stitching underneath), then turn the edge again and iron, then take back to the sewing machine to stitch the double turn down. The first row of stitching becomes hidden in the hem. It sounds like more work than using a hemming foot, but for me it ended up taking a lot less time as I was never able to master the hemming foot for a neat result.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:36 PM

Brian Sews Hemming foot tutorial. Find it on youtube.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

Here is a link to the tutorial Pudge mentioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlXaq4PsrlU

There are quite a few other tutorials on how to use a hemming foot too:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...s+Hemming+foot
Old 10-10-2015, 02:46 AM

Sounds like you're talking about using the rolled hemming foot. I've never been able to master this, it's one of the things that you need to practice (and I have better sewing things to do - like quilting - lol). What I do is fold fabric to the front in as small a hem as you can, then stitch as close to the fold as you can. Then trim as close to your sewing line as possible, then fold as tight as you can back to the wrong side. Then stitch again as close to the fold as you can. Good luck
Old 10-10-2015, 03:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
What I have done in the past (alas, many years ago!) was to stitch a line 1/4" from the edge, take to ironing board and iron the fabric along that line (just barely hiding the stitching underneath), then turn the edge again and iron, then take back to the sewing machine to stitch the double turn down. The first row of stitching becomes hidden in the hem. It sounds like more work than using a hemming foot, but for me it ended up taking a lot less time as I was never able to master the hemming foot for a neat result.
I've resorted to this method, also.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:01 AM

I always WISH that I could master that darn hemming foot. But alas!!!