Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do you clean a down comforter? >

How do you clean a down comforter?

How do you clean a down comforter?

Old 09-09-2013, 02:22 PM

Default How do you clean a down comforter?

I have a king sized down comforter that needs cleaning. Do I send it to the dry cleaner? Do I wash it in the washing machine? Do I use it until it falls apart and then get a new one? Yikes - they're so expensive! What did people do in the pioneer days? Any and all suggestions are welcomed.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:26 PM

I always put ours in the washer, no problem.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:26 PM

I guess it depends on what type of down comforter you have and what the exterior fabric is. I have a down comforter with a basic white cotton cover and I use a duvet cover over that. I do wash mine and have for about 15 years now. Wash in the washer and tumble dry and it comes out great. However, if the cover is not washable fabric, this won't work.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:31 PM

Doesn't have a tag with cleaning instructions? My daughter had a queen size that required dry cleaning. Kind of pricey, but really doesn't have to done that often.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:35 PM
Power Poster

my only caveat is to make sure that the comforter does not have any weak seams. i'd put it in another 'bag' of some sort. if the down leaks out, you'll have a really big mess.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:25 PM
Power Poster

I always take them to the laundromat and use a large front loader. They take a long time to dry,so typically I dry them only about halfway at the laundromat, then spread them out at home over a bannister to finish drying.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

Thank goodness we don't have one. I made us a comforter years ago and it is too warm for us to use. We mainly use just a sheet in the summer and winter. Our bedroom is second warmest room. We keep the heat at 68 at night. I run a small heater in dining room to keep the bird warmer.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:02 AM

As long as the cover is washable, toss it in the machine. The big machines at the laundromat would probably be best. You may want to toss a clean, washable sneaker or a couple of clean tennis balls with it in the dryer to help with the 'fluffing'.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

What kind of DOWN comforter are you talking about? If it is a feather down or a feather tick, those were just "aired" . If you have ever gotten a feather pillow wet, you will know why they are NOT washed. They STINK and take forever to dry.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I guess it depends on what type of down comforter you have and what the exterior fabric is. I have a down comforter with a basic white cotton cover and I use a duvet cover over that. I do wash mine and have for about 15 years now. Wash in the washer and tumble dry and it comes out great. However, if the cover is not washable fabric, this won't work.
Just thought I would throw my two cents worth in here - You can really save money if you buy two Target top sheets. Sew them together and I use the big snaps. Sure is a heckuva lot cheaper than buying the store bought duvets. I will usually buy (or at least I did) eight sheets - two for on two for in the wash~ Have a good day. Edie