Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How to make wood floors shiny?

How to make wood floors shiny?

My husband and I sanded and poly'd our home's original hardwood floors some months ago (house built in 1900). I've been using Murphy's Oil squirt and mop and the floors are just sooooooo dull. Does anyone know of a product that will actually bring some shine back into them??? I'd hate to have to polyeurethane again since our dogs make that whole drying process a bit difficult!!
    If you don't try, you can never do.

dd
    If you put poly on the floors, I don't think you need the oil. It may be building up. We put a gym seal over our bedroom floors and it has held up beautifully for 28 years. I just vacuum and damp mop with Mr. Clean or something like that and no problems. Some scratch marks in the kids rooms but what would anyone expect for that amount of time.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Quote Originally Posted by dd View Post
    If you put poly on the floors, I don't think you need the oil. It may be building up. We put a gym seal over our bedroom floors and it has held up beautifully for 28 years. I just vacuum and damp mop with Mr. Clean or something like that and no problems. Some scratch marks in the kids rooms but what would anyone expect for that amount of time.
    dd is correct...with poly seal you should not need to be doing more than light mopping and dusting. I would never put oil on my hardwood floors!!! When I was in school, our old blding had wood floors and the janitor kept them oiled --but this was in those days when there was no finish on the floors and it was the way to clean up the dust. I remember sometimes you could almost ''skate'' on them.

we used Johnson past wax on ours

Blog Entries
    I think Murphy's oil is a soap. We use it on our tile, but I've never used it on my wood floors. We just dust them.

Blog Entries
    Murphy Oil Soap is not drying and made for sealed wood. It's great for cleaning wood furniture. For the best shine product call a flooring store and ask what is recommended. You can rent a floor polisher and that will buff the floors to a bright shine.
    Got fabric?

We use Bona floor cleaner for hardwood floors. There is also a polisher that we apply every couple of months. It's very easy to apply and dries quickly.

I saw that Bona stuff and was thinking of trying that next.

The Murphy's Oil I mentioned isn't actually an oil (though I do have what you think I'm talking about too)...Murphy's Oil makes it, but it's a wood floor cleaner that is "supposed" to end up with a shine, but just doesn't. You squirt it right onto your floor and mop. It looks great when it's wet But, dries very dull.

Thank you all for your input!!!
    If you don't try, you can never do.

With the poly sealant, just a damp mop. The Murphy's is leaving a residue. I had Bruce oak wood floors which had 5 coats of poly. Once a week with a damp mop and you could see your face in the floor. The floors were beautiful. Anything other than a damp mop, it would streak and get dull.

We put in new hardwood floors six years ago and I've used nothing but Bona on them since. They still look like the day we put them in.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast