Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to make wood floors shiny?

How to make wood floors shiny?

My husband and I sanded and poly'd our home's original hardwood floors some months ago (house built in 1900). I've been using Murphy's Oil squirt and mop and the floors are just sooooooo dull. Does anyone know of a product that will actually bring some shine back into them??? I'd hate to have to polyeurethane again since our dogs make that whole drying process a bit difficult!!
    If you don't try, you can never do.

dd
    If you put poly on the floors, I don't think you need the oil. It may be building up. We put a gym seal over our bedroom floors and it has held up beautifully for 28 years. I just vacuum and damp mop with Mr. Clean or something like that and no problems. Some scratch marks in the kids rooms but what would anyone expect for that amount of time.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Quote Originally Posted by dd View Post
    If you put poly on the floors, I don't think you need the oil. It may be building up. We put a gym seal over our bedroom floors and it has held up beautifully for 28 years. I just vacuum and damp mop with Mr. Clean or something like that and no problems. Some scratch marks in the kids rooms but what would anyone expect for that amount of time.
    dd is correct...with poly seal you should not need to be doing more than light mopping and dusting. I would never put oil on my hardwood floors!!! When I was in school, our old blding had wood floors and the janitor kept them oiled --but this was in those days when there was no finish on the floors and it was the way to clean up the dust. I remember sometimes you could almost ''skate'' on them.

we used Johnson past wax on ours

Blog Entries
    I think Murphy's oil is a soap. We use it on our tile, but I've never used it on my wood floors. We just dust them.

Blog Entries
    Murphy Oil Soap is not drying and made for sealed wood. It's great for cleaning wood furniture. For the best shine product call a flooring store and ask what is recommended. You can rent a floor polisher and that will buff the floors to a bright shine.
    Got fabric?

We use Bona floor cleaner for hardwood floors. There is also a polisher that we apply every couple of months. It's very easy to apply and dries quickly.

I saw that Bona stuff and was thinking of trying that next.

The Murphy's Oil I mentioned isn't actually an oil (though I do have what you think I'm talking about too)...Murphy's Oil makes it, but it's a wood floor cleaner that is "supposed" to end up with a shine, but just doesn't. You squirt it right onto your floor and mop. It looks great when it's wet But, dries very dull.

Thank you all for your input!!!

With the poly sealant, just a damp mop. The Murphy's is leaving a residue. I had Bruce oak wood floors which had 5 coats of poly. Once a week with a damp mop and you could see your face in the floor. The floors were beautiful. Anything other than a damp mop, it would streak and get dull.

We put in new hardwood floors six years ago and I've used nothing but Bona on them since. They still look like the day we put them in.

Blog Entries
    I agree, love Bona but buy it at Wal mart if you can! Its' a LOT cheaper there
    Patski
    always learning

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    I agree, love Bona but buy it at Wal mart if you can! Its' a LOT cheaper there
    Will do!!! Thanks!

Quick Shine Floor Finish When done floor looks like new Also have Quick Shine Floor Cleaner Love it

How about vinegar and water...I know it cuts greasy film on windows

I live in an old farm house and when I recently had some of the floors redone, I was told to never use Murphy's Oil Soap on them. If I had to wipe them, I was to use a barely damp mop with only water. If I felt I needed something to use a solution of water and vinegar and not very much of the vinegar.

The very best thiing to do is to keep them dry mopped or vacuumed as the grit from dirt is what causes the finish to dull.

I love my real wood floors.

PB from MN

Had hard wood floors put in living and dining room last year.....just vinegar and water...with just a DAMP string mop weekly.....that's what I did in our "old" house too.....

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    With the Murphy's you have to follow up with a dry cotton mop to wipe off the residue. I only use Murphy's on wood furniture that I'm planning on just cleaning. I usually follow with pledge or English oil. Some polys don't work well with the Murphys.

Did you use shiny or a flat poly? Makes a huge difference.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Murphy's Oil is not good on wood floors. It does leave a film and over time can hurt some of the finishes. Have you tried just plain water with a drop or two of dawn dish soap - use a sponge mop that you can wring out well. Any kind of product with ammonia in it will hurt the finish over time.

Blog Entries
    My neighbor, the wood floor installer, helped us sand our real wood white oak floors when we installed them 5 years ago. After putting on several coats of poly stuff I asked him what to use to clean. He said to use vinegar and water, NOTHING ELSE.... I use one of those micro duster floor mop. The vinegar/water mix really cleans.. my floors look brand new..... use probably 1/2 and 1/2 or less vinegar if you want.... I also use the same mix for washing windows and mirrors. Use a squeegee - no streaks.....

I live in a 100+year old house with original plank flooring, Dough fir I think. The kitchen as with all the floors mostly lived their lives under, paper liner, and old vinyl flooring and in some cases an addition of cheap carpeting. It was a rental house. I peeled back all the layers to the original floors. The wood was dry and dull and in someplace's damaged. I started by cleaning it with Murphy's oil soap but they were still very dull. Now I use Mop and Glo floor cleaner about three times a year with a damp mopping for clean up in between. The wood darkened a bit and has a nice shine. These floors get a lot of traffic and still look good. I would try the Mop and Glo.
    two simple rules for success
    1. Show up.
    2. Pay attention.
    One simple rule for happiness
    1. Kindness counts.

For my new, several years ago, Bruce hardwood floors. I use orange glo. I have a daily spray on, off with a damp micro pad. A wax to be used every several months. I don't mop any floors everyday, usually once a week.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

The man who refinished my oak floors said to never use any oil product on the polyurethaned floors. He sold me a product then (don't remember the name), but I have switched to Bona. It's a little pricey, but it works very well. I also use a large headed rectangular mop that has a terry cloth head. I switch out the heads if one gets to dirty, then wash them in the washer. It's a great mop. I think they sell them at Bed, Bath and Beyond.

Blog Entries
    If you have a true value hardware store nearby go in and see what they have. All the products they carry are very good. I cleaned homes to supplement my income and relied on true value products and was never dissappointed. I liked to use a shark steamer to clean the wood floor, to much water is not the best for them.
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

Blog Entries
    I always just used white vinegar and water on wood and tile floors. Usually if you use something else to me it leaves a sticky redsidue and the floors are streaky
    I collect Seraphim Angels

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast