How Many of Us Knit?

Old 10-09-2011, 08:52 AM

Yesterday, the day was dark and dreary. The skies opened up and it rained continuesly all day long and I loved it.

Hubby was ensconced in the back room and I was in the front, surrounded by some of the things that I love lol.

To my left (laying in the bed), is the open closet with three book shelves, up to the ceiling loaded with sorted fabric in color ranges. I love to look at it. It took me an entire day to arrange that lol.

To my right on the dresser is a row of knitting books and a container of patterns, and my radio cd player. There is no tv in this room so far.

The row of knitting books and patterns called to me. I always remember a pattern by Merdith Grover. It was her Mother's pattern of the Peacock Facecloth. I have always wanted to have a go at it.

It is challenging to me as I have not learned to see as I knit and am not too experienced in that field but do love it, especially on a day like yesterday.

I knitted on it all day long while listening to, "Angels and Demons". I carefully knitted evey step but somehow must have missed something. I don't see the peacock. The cloth is pretty anyway. I had picked a verigated aqua/white cotton.

I will try it again as I have seen others do it and I can see the Peacock. I have the pattern by Meridith Grover. I read in her instructions that the pattern was published in the, "Workbasket" in November 1954 issue.

I was delighted to read that and went and serched my Workbasket mags that, Anne, from this board sent me some time ago. I love those mags. Well I only found two mags from 1954 lol. and it was not there.

If anyone here can help me with this pattern or has some more written instruction that could help me, please let me know. Sometimes, it helps to read several version before it sinks in.

Here is a pic of the cloth, I found on the web...and here is mine with no Peacock in sight lol.....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_V88OxmGhQv.../MrPeacock.jpg
Attached Thumbnails attachment-268322.jpe  
Old 10-09-2011, 08:54 AM
Google Goddess

I knit some, just the basic patterns, want to knit some dishcloths
Old 10-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

i knit and crochet- although quilting does take up alot of my time every now and then i just want to knit something! it's a nice change of pace to be able to set your quilting aside and do something different once in a while-
i also hook rugs (which is my favorite pass time)and make baskets
Old 10-09-2011, 08:58 AM

I knit but not so much anymore used to make sweaters and mittens for my kids. Maybe if you tried a solid color yarn you could see the Peacock.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

i knit very simple things lately. years past... i knit the dresses i wore in each of my daughter's weddings, one a formal black with black glass beads knitted in and a matching bolero type jacket. i also knit the dress i wore for my last wedding in florida. it was wool yarn, a short blue sleeveless [back when i could still go sleeveless :) ] with a double breasted front.

i'm sorry that your pattern is not showing well. i hope you can get it figured out because that is a great peacock!
Old 10-09-2011, 09:05 AM

I love to knit dishcloths and hubby orders small mats for different things lol. I would just pic a knitting pattern and knit as this give me practice and experience and I love doing that at night or when the mood strikes but I do love a challenge and the Peacock is one of them

I did knit the "Hemlock Ring" very succesfully as the instruction were excellent. The Rainy Sisters helped me a bit when I was stomped but I was sooo green at the time, a rank beginner.....I have knitted a second one in cotton for a bathroom rug or towel, the cotton is so nice. I have also knitted an Acorn rug and had no problem...this Peacock is messing with my brain now lol.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:10 AM

Usually, whenever I do a pattern, I make notes when I discover an easier way or a better way to explain the instruction. I will definately try the Peacock again and I will try it in a solid color as suggested.

In the meantime I will just finish off this one and use it like it is, it's pretty anyway and did get me going....
Old 10-09-2011, 09:14 AM

I have tried knitting and loved it, I did a scarf with the open yarn and it was pretty. A lady in my church has asked me on occasions when I wear it to make her one, but I told her I can't even remember how to cast on. I would love to try again but I have to have a lot more instructions first.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:15 AM

I learned to knit when I was 10 years old and I still love it. While watching TV with DH in the evenings, I'm always knitting or crocheting something. I can't sit still and just watch....it feels like I'm wasting time that could be put to better use!
Old 10-09-2011, 09:20 AM

Knitting is actually my craft of choice ( although quilting is getting up there!) I just love yarn and all the cool things you can do with it! Lately I've been making baby/ preemie hats for the local hospital and a fabulous sweater for myself!