Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How much does snowplowing cost? >

How much does snowplowing cost?

How much does snowplowing cost?

Old 10-22-2011, 03:13 AM

Wow. That is about a 40% increase!!! I think it might be time to start calling around for other estimates. I don't contract for this, but my lawn guys send me the pricing anyhow, and they wanted about $350 for the season (and wrote a clause into the contract that they would pass on a fuel surcharge only if gas went above a certain price per gallon). I live in Williamsville and my driveway is about 60' long. Are there any neighbors that could help out if she purchased the gas? I do the driveway for one of my elderly neighbors, and she gave me a gas gift card for Christmas last year and she makes me cookies when it snows.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:17 AM

I paid $50 to get my driveway done every time, bought a snow thrower and will do it myself now.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:24 AM

well....its alot but not if he has a schedule...plows her every in the morning and later in the day if needed during storms. the biggest thing is if he is dependable. many times during a storm if hard to find someone to plow right away unless you have a contract or a yearly fee. So glad we bought a snowplow..we hated waiting for the plowers to show up.
Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Just wondering... if you hire someone to snowplow your driveway, how much does it cost you?

My mother hires someone, and she used to pay $350, but now he wants $489 for the season.

I'm not any good at estimating driveway length, but her driveway is 2 cars wide.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
My Mom is 87 and doesn't drive anymore; she doesn't even have a car. She is primarily housebound. So it really does not matter what time of day the driveway gets plowed. It just needs to be kept sort-of-open so that the mailman can pull in and out (he is kind enough to bring the mail right to her door).

The plow driver can pull in on an angle and push the snow sideways off onto her lawn; she doesn't care about how it looks.

Oh - and Syracuse usually gets a bit more snow than Buffalo. They're somehow just not as famous for it!
We have the same situation with my mom. We had one guy that charged $25/plowing. Sometimes he would be out 2-3 times/snowfall. got expensive. Now we have a guy that plows just as needed for $20. we give him a call and he swings by and does it.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:11 AM

Our driveway is 2 cars wide and at least 6 cars long...I used to do it by myself as well as down both wheelchair ramps, all of the sidewalks in the front and side of our house, the back deck and cement pad until about 3 yrs ago when I had hip replacement surgery...now, a neighborhood kid(he's now about 18) comes and helps me...he is happy with whatever I pay him...I work along with him and pay him $50 each time...as well as bottled water, sodas, cookies, etc. With as many times as we had snowstorms in NJ last year, $350 doesn't sound bad...With the price of gas even $489 doesn't sound bad and it sure beats shoveling...Naomi
Old 10-22-2011, 08:55 AM

We pay $125.00 for each plowing.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:58 AM

It varies a lot by the area and the size of your driveway. You just have to call around.

Our neighbor generously plows our driveway for nothing when we ran into mechanical problems the last 2 years because we were dealing with so much (my late Dad was very poorly and my brother is disabled). Got a new snowplow now, so that should help.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:07 AM

How many times a week does the $350(soon to be $489)pay for? I would definitely check around, and get some other prices. Maybe, you could persuade her to move to a more "weather friendly" area.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:52 PM

I'm in zone 5A, get a huge amount of snow (though not Buffalo, thank goodness) and have a really long driveway with a small parking lot at the end, and pay $50 a time.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:33 PM

My parents drive is one car wide and three cars long - they call as needed - only if more than 5 or 6" of snow (have good snow tires), the guy plows drive and snow blows sidewalks for $45