Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does it cost so much to repair a sewing machine?

My old trusty Singer sewing machine sprung a spring in the bobbin area. I could not fix it, so I took it to a repair man. Thankfully they gave me an estimate before they went to work. They wanted over $180.00. That is more than what I paid for it. So I took it back. It was only to put a spring back in place! :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by norma Jean
    My old trusty Singer sewing machine sprung a spring in the bobbin area. I could not fix it, so I took it to a repair man. Thankfully they gave me an estimate before they went to work. They wanted over $180.00. That is more than what I paid for it. So I took it back. It was only to put a spring back in place! :cry:
    Sorry you are having problems with your machine. Do you have a stand by machine? That does sound like a lot of money to replace a spring, but maybe it is a time consuming thing to do. If there is another sewing machine shop in your area, you might try getting a second estimate. I hope you can find a solution, it isn't fun when a machine you use a lot and have a great relationship with is sick.

Blog Entries
    I had a wonderful old Kenmore that needed to be tuned up. Unfortunately, it would have cost me over $100. I gave the machine to the Salvation Army and bought a new Janome.

I have two others but I loved this machine.

My guess would be because repairmen don't live on air and have bills to pay. They have building rent and utilities to pay plus since it's their only job they also have homes and cars and such to pay for. Life ain't cheap.

The trick to avoid all this is to 1) marry a sewing machine repair man or 2) hope your daughter marries one and you can get family, servicing benefits:>

that would be great!

I think you just need to find another repair man! Yes he may be supporting his family, but so are you.

You are right about going to another repair shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    The trick to avoid all this is to 1) marry a sewing machine repair man or 2) hope your daughter marries one and you can get family, servicing benefits:>
    That is so funny! LOL But right!!!!!!!!!!! Let's see....hmmmm.....one daughter isn't married yet. Maybe she could dump the significant other and start looking....oops :oops: Sorry got carried away there :lol:

community benefactor Conniequilts's Avatar
    I don't know. One place said $65 an hour and one said $85 an hour when I needed mine fixed. Guess where it went.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    My guess would be because repairmen don't live on air and have bills to pay. They have building rent and utilities to pay plus since it's their only job they also have homes and cars and such to pay for. Life ain't cheap.
    This is a good point, but why is the Pfaff dealer here cheaper than the Viking/Bernina/Brother dealer? So instead of taking my MQ to this dealer, I am taking it to the Pfaff dealer. It is the same machine as one of the Pfaffs just with a different name. I think sometimes they are higher than they should be.

Banned
    I mainly service vintage sewing machines and I charge $65 + parts for the service and it is a complete service with the spa treatment, oil and polish to boot. I have tons of them coming in from all over the country thanks to everyone here on the board, and I have lots coming in locally. Because the local shops do not want to mess with the older machines it really adds to the mix.

The reason I can keep my prices so low is because I also am a parts distributor and I do it all here at my home and I have no overhead.

Billy

My Janome serger just had a colossion with the loopers hitting together. I need to take it in for repair.]
    Hubby could always fix whatever, with my old Singer
    but not sure I want him messing with this. Especially if there is any computerized stuff on it.
    They told me with my White serger it would be $100.00 plus parts. WEll that was 2 years ago and the parts (only a thread guard) is still on back order. So I traded it in on the Janome.
    Never buy a WHITE, you can't get repair.
    Altho JoAnn's Fabric told me at the time that I could.

my dealer if you own a janome or baby lock or tin lizze you get one price for repare,if a different brand it is approx one third more

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    I mainly service vintage sewing machines and I charge $65 + parts for the service and it is a complete service with the spa treatment, oil and polish to boot. I have tons of them coming in from all over the country thanks to everyone here on the board, and I have lots coming in locally. Because the local shops do not want to mess with the older machines it really adds to the mix.

The reason I can keep my prices so low is because I also am a parts distributor and I do it all here at my home and I have no overhead.

How old is vintage?

Billy

WHY DOES A TV MAN CHARGE SO MUCH? oR FOR THAT MATTER AN WASHING MACHINE REPAIR? iT'S JUST WHAT THEY CHARGE IN THEIR FIELD AND I GUESS TIME IS A MAJOR FACTOR...LOOK AT HOW MUCH AN TOLIET MAN CHARGE FOR UNSTOPPING IT? THE LIST COULD GO ON & ON! LOL...I COULD GET ON A ROLL WITH THIS ONE!

That's a lot of money! I am very fortunate, my hubby does all my repairs. He periodically takes all mine apart and cleans and oils them if needed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    How old is vintage?
    For me its anything from 1860-1974, but most of the time the cut off is 1960 as far as the collectors are concerned.

Billy

Blog Entries
    When we tell someone the charge for making them a quilt we all hear: That much for making a quilt?! Ask the repairman to break the cost down to what you are paying for labor, service, and parts. You can find the price of the part online and if he is doubling the price just to oder it, you'll know. How long is his work guaranteed? Does he have a good reputation as being honest and dependable? The value of the job compared to the price is different to everyone.

Because you are not paying for what they do, you are paying for them knowing HOW to do it.

DID marry a sewing machine repair man. The only machines he services now are mine and a very few of his favourite old customers. I get mine done for free.

Isn't that the truth!
    Took mine in to be cleaned, nothing major wrong. The bill was 175.00, oh well.....not much you can do.

Blog Entries
    Sorry! I had my Bernina in LQS for 6 weeks and they didn't even take the cover off yet. So picked it up and took it to another shop, Chestnut Ridge in Walnut Creek OH, they looked at it WHILE I WAITED, tried one part which didnt work and said they would have to order one and would take 2 weeks. Got the call to pick it up in one week. Total cost for replacing part AND completely going over the machine was $100.00!!! This is an older (25 years) electronic machine - runs like a dream again. If you are in this area, that is the place to go for machine repairs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SherriB
    I had a wonderful old Kenmore that needed to be tuned up. Unfortunately, it would have cost me over $100. I gave the machine to the Salvation Army and bought a new Janome.
    I was in the same situation, I have 2 trusty kenmores-took one in for just a tune-up [ 80 miles away] cost was 90.00 that poor machime hasn't been the same since-with that bad experience I really hesitate taking the second kenmore in...bought a brand new brother for under 200.00-alot more bells & whistles then the 2 kenmores put together but I still would like to have my old trusties for back up.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast