Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How much food would you prepare...? >

How much food would you prepare...?

How much food would you prepare...?

Old 07-04-2010, 02:37 AM

I have a general question for anyone who has had a birthday party in which you've requested guests to RSVP by a certain date. My question is, "How much extra food would you prepare
for the invited guests who don't RSVP and want to attend?
I have 60 confirmed for Mom's birthday and thought I would order food for 75, but I don't want alot of food left over. What are your thoughts on this? Eiltcoq.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:48 AM

With my family if 60 confirmed I'd have to order enough for at least 90. We've got some pretty big eaters. LOL. For a normal family 75 sounds about right.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by eiltcoq
***requested guests to RSVP by a certain date***
***invited guests who don't RSVP and want to attend? ***

I have ***60 confirmed*** ***thought I would order food for 75,*** .
RSVP means reply either way.
RSVP regrets only means reply only if you're NOT attending.

I'm going on the premis that you put RSVP
You've requested them to reply Yes or No that they're coming.
Why do you think they're going to attend if they didn't reply?
Do you think there are 15 people who will come that didn't reply?

As far as having 'extra' food ordered...I guess it depends on how much the caterer/store provides 'per serving' in the first place. There are one or two area stores that really provide LOTS of food per serving. If you're talking the elderly eating......they don't eat much. Teens and men - yep they EAT.
What are you having and can it be frozen if left over or will you give doggie bags to take home?

If it were me, I'd have to CALL the people who didn't RSVP.
I'd tell them that I didn't get their reply or phone call back and I wanted to make sure they received the invitation in the first place.
By doing this
#1. you'll make sure they got the invitation.
#2. Prevent hard feelings if something happened in the mail and they didn't get the invite.
#3. you'll get an accurate account for food
#4. Bring it out to their attention that THEY SHOULD HAVE RESPONDED either way.
and if I couldn't get in touch with them before the party, I'd really act SURPRISED when they showed up.
:lol: :lol:
Old 07-04-2010, 04:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by eiltcoq
I have a general question for anyone who has had a birthday party in which you've requested guests to RSVP by a certain date. My question is, "How much extra food would you prepare
for the invited guests who don't RSVP and want to attend?
I have 60 confirmed for Mom's birthday and thought I would order food for 75, but I don't want alot of food left over. What are your thoughts on this? Eiltcoq.

If you do end up with left overs, send some home with the guests who want it, or consider donating it to a shelter. They always appreciate donations of food. (Check with them first as to what they will accept).
Old 07-04-2010, 05:13 AM

I totally agree with quiltinghere, and maybe just order for 5 more people, incase someone brings someone you didn't expect.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:09 AM

When I have a big party, I order extras...I also plan on sending a plate home with the elderly guests. After we are finished eating, before putting the food away, I invite a couple at a time to fix a plate for tomorrow. If you buy a 2 gallon ziploc type bag the plate fit in it easily and you write the name of the person on the bag.
Some of them don't really cook anymore, or it is too hard for them to get around easily.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

I think you are correct in ordering extra . But remember some that say they will come , will have a last minute OOPPPSS .

Some people just don't have a clue what all is involved in a party like this :roll: My son just got married and over 350 people were invited and they only heard back from 225 and of that only 200 showed up. Talk about a LOT of food :hunf:

Hope you have a GREAT party , no matter what :thumbup:
Old 07-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

I would order extra. Better too much than not enough. Send leftovers home with guests.