Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Do You Prepare Your Quilt To Enter In A Show? >

How Do You Prepare Your Quilt To Enter In A Show?

How Do You Prepare Your Quilt To Enter In A Show?

Old 09-13-2015, 12:44 PM

Default How Do You Prepare Your Quilt To Enter In A Show?

I would like to hear from those of you who show quilts in judged shows. I have never entered a quilt in a show, but am thinking about it. But I have no idea what should be done to it before entry. For example, should the quilt be left unwashed? Is it a necessity to "block" it? Never done it and not sure how to do it. A hanging sleeve is needed, is there a proper way to do that? Should the quilt be rolled and not folded? What other things or tips should I know??
Old 09-13-2015, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

Good questions - I want to know, too.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:06 PM

I am by no means an expert but in 2 different shows I have entered locally both had different rules regarding labels and hanging sleeves, so definitely read the information regarding the show you are thinking of entering.
As far as washing, most of my quilts were unwashed except for one which really need blocking (big lesson learned with that one )
Enjoy the experience, it is so nice to see your quilts displayed and even if it doesn't win anything it might just inspire someone else to give something a try or to enter a show too, and we all love eye candy.

I would love to hear any other tips.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:06 PM

Almost the last thing I do is to run a ....well, phooey, I have forgotten the name of it...one of those roller things with sticky tape on them. The goal is to catch any threads, either attached or that were just floating in my sewing room. (Is it called a lent roller????)

Do read the rules, as every quilt show is different. Our guild's doesn't require a sleeve, but it does require the quilt to be turned in inside a pillow case and the quilt must have a label with your name on it, even if it is just pinned on with a safely pin.

I don't smoke, but one of the hints for quilters who have a smoker in the house is to briefly put the quilt in the dryer on fluff with a dryer sheet. Many of my friends found that advice very helpful. We had a small program on how to prepare a quilt for the show, and this dryer sheet idea was quite popular.

Sort of scattered information, but then I am in a scatterbrain mood. I am in the middle of seam ripping. Never fun, particularly as I could have avoided the seam ripping if I had bothered to read the instructions carefully.

Dina
Old 09-13-2015, 02:10 PM

I have entered many shows. Check with the show for the rules. Some require a hanging sleeve and some do not. Sometimes, the hanging sleeve has to be a certain number of inches from the bottom so that it will hang properly on what ever they are hanging it on. I like my quilts to show as good as they can so I actually iron them. I iron the back and then turn it over and iron the front. Then I lay it flat on the floor until I am ready to fold them and ship to the show. I check for any loose threads and clip them and look for anything that is not just to my liking and fix it before I send them. ALWAYS...ALWAYS....ALWAYS....LABEL YOU QUILT!!!! You should have your name and address on the label. I do not wash my quilts before a show. I want that crisp new looks for them. Take pictures of your quilt with you in front of it. It is great to have to ID purposes if you need them. Keep in mind that your quilt will be judged by both judges and the crowd going to the show. Their opinions are just that opinions and the only one that really counts is yours. It is your quilt and make it the way you want it made. Most of all, enjoy the show. Send us pictures of your quilt on display. We would all love to see them.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:50 PM

blocking is just getting it wet and letting it dry flat. you want the quilt to hang nicely.

judges seem to focus on binding - make sure it is full of batting and not limp also sew the miter closed on every corner
Old 09-13-2015, 03:02 PM

Woody is right. Pay very close attention to the show rules and make sure to follow them exactly. If you have any questions, there's usually a contact person to call. This is true for local shows and big international shows alike.

Blocking a quilt will always make it hang better and is well worth the time and effort it may take you. It squares up the edges, flattens the surface, and improves the hang greatly. You can wet or dry block, but I get quite good results with a spray bottle of water which is kind of a cross between the two. Good instructions for blocking are here:
http://academyofquilting.com/library...sary/blocking/

Hanging sleeves are another requirement. The entry information will tell you the size (usually 4"), but it's best to make a D sleeve and to put it far enough below the binding that it doesn't show when hung. I do 1" below and it works well. If you make sure the pleat in the sleeve doesn't go above the binding when it's empty, you should be safe. Good instruction are here:
http://wwwbluemoonriver.blogspot.com...lt-sleeve.html

You will also need to label your quilt exactly as specified by the entry instructions. If they say to cover your label, do that too. If they don't tell you how to cover it, pin (safety pin) a piece of muslin over it in a way that does not flop.

If you are shipping your quilt to a show, the entry info will (should anyway) provide some information on where, when, etc. If they're nice, they'll have some hints for you. I fold mine, usually in thirds, with crumpled bubble wrap in the folds to prevent creases and minimize wrinkles. It all goes in a clear plastic bag with your entry info and into the box. Do not use a garbage bag; it's way to risky. Quilts have actually been thrown out by people who don't bother to look inside to see if it really is garbage inside. All the 'rules' for shipping gift quilts also apply to show quilts. Never ship with styrofoam peanuts or dryer sheets. Good info on shipping is here:
http://www.americanquilter.com/quilt...iew.php?id=113

Just remember the judges are looking for what's right with your quilt, not what's wrong with it. It's a great experience, the feedback is priceless, and we all wish you the very best!

There are several threads here on what judges look for so check those out, too.

Last edited by ghostrider; 09-13-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

I only enter local shows. I follow the rules of the specific show. I wash my quilts. I have won a lot of viewer's choice ribbons because my quilts look like 'the kind my grandmother made'. I would rather win Viewer's Choice then Best in Show. I have lots of fair ribbons and a few Grand Champions.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:14 PM

Doubt I will ever enter a show but always good to know all these tips. I learned about hanging when I made a couple of wall hangings. Started doing labels which I hand sew onto the back. Now I need to go to a show to see how they get judged. Good luck and post pictures.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:15 PM

I've entered several shows and they will tell you what they want so you just need to follow their directions. I always embroider my name and the name of the quilt on the back of the quilt, even if they want a different kind of label. The more identification on your quilt the better, especially if you're entering it in a large show. I entered one once where you had to drop it off and there were stacks and stacks of quilts. I was so glad my info was sewn on as they only safety pinned a paper label onto each quilt. All it would take is for a paper to get ripped for your quilt to become "unknown."

I love the idea of taking a photo of the quilt with you in it. I always photograph my quilts before they leave my house but I never thought of taking a "selfie."

I've entered some juried shows where you have to send your quilt to them. I always insure them for the maximum $ I can afford, and send it so that I have a proof of delivery. Sometimes the show will send the quilt back to you, but if you have to provide the return send along the forms and make sure you make copies with the tracking # on them. It usually takes a while to get your quilt back, particularly if it's in a traveling show.

I hope you do enter your quilt because it's a great experience to see your work hanging with all the other beautiful quilts. I do recommend that you don't hang around it during the show because some people can be cruel with their comments. I've heard some horrible things said about prize winning quilts that were absolutely gorgeous. You don't need to hear that kind of stuff. Also, the judges can be a little intense, and sometimes their comments make no sense. I received judging notes once that were obviously not about my quilt, the size, style, and colors were different. It was really negative and freaked me out until I realized the judge must have mixed up his judging sheets. I still wonder what he thought about my quilt!