Old 09-13-2015, 06:15 PM
gillyo

I've entered several shows and they will tell you what they want so you just need to follow their directions. I always embroider my name and the name of the quilt on the back of the quilt, even if they want a different kind of label. The more identification on your quilt the better, especially if you're entering it in a large show. I entered one once where you had to drop it off and there were stacks and stacks of quilts. I was so glad my info was sewn on as they only safety pinned a paper label onto each quilt. All it would take is for a paper to get ripped for your quilt to become "unknown."

I love the idea of taking a photo of the quilt with you in it. I always photograph my quilts before they leave my house but I never thought of taking a "selfie."

I've entered some juried shows where you have to send your quilt to them. I always insure them for the maximum $ I can afford, and send it so that I have a proof of delivery. Sometimes the show will send the quilt back to you, but if you have to provide the return send along the forms and make sure you make copies with the tracking # on them. It usually takes a while to get your quilt back, particularly if it's in a traveling show.

I hope you do enter your quilt because it's a great experience to see your work hanging with all the other beautiful quilts. I do recommend that you don't hang around it during the show because some people can be cruel with their comments. I've heard some horrible things said about prize winning quilts that were absolutely gorgeous. You don't need to hear that kind of stuff. Also, the judges can be a little intense, and sometimes their comments make no sense. I received judging notes once that were obviously not about my quilt, the size, style, and colors were different. It was really negative and freaked me out until I realized the judge must have mixed up his judging sheets. I still wonder what he thought about my quilt!