Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I am in a baddddd slump!

How do you get out of this kind of slump where you want to sew, but always find making excuses not to? I have looked at books and patterns until I am nuts. :roll: Went to the Quilt Shop this weekend and bought a bunch of new fabric and pattern books thinking that would help. Nope....got home and here I have sat. Well I have done housework & stuff but no sewing. I have machines out the wazoo, embroidery machine, LA machine, stash that I will never get sewn up in my lifetime and a very generous hubby. So I am at a loss as to how to get out of this. I have a few Christmas gifts that I am excited about making that I ordered, so hopefully they will be just what I need. Any of you ever go through this? If so, how did you pull out of it?

Blog Entries
    push push push you to get back in your sewing room

:D I need more than pushed....I need a swift kick in the behind! ;)

I read somewhere that if you are in a slump there are a couple of things you can do. First, go to a museum and look at the art. The other thing suggested was to try another art form. Take a cake decorating class, pottery, knitting etc. Sometimes trying another art form can jumpstart your creativity. I sometimes get in a slump, too. One time, I watched "How To Make An American Quilt" and watching those women quilt got me going again.

Blog Entries
    Make a small charity quilt - Project Linus comes to mind, so even if it's only 20 in x 30 in they will be happy to accept it.

Perhaps making it for a good cause will jump start you - donating always gives me a lift.

** Snap out of it Sister Quilter **

Someone check to see if Gramof6 has a case of the Summer sewing blues....{{{ Huggs }}}

I don't know a person who dosen't at times slow or pause, I force myself to finish or work on a soso project, by that time am ready to go on something I really want to do. (If all else fails I clean the room till it kicks in again) and if your is clean I know of one that could use some work;)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gzuslivz
    I read somewhere that if you are in a slump there are a couple of things you can do. First, go to a museum and look at the art. The other thing suggested was to try another art form. Take a cake decorating class, pottery, knitting etc. Sometimes trying another art form can jumpstart your creativity. I sometimes get in a slump, too. One time, I watched "How To Make An American Quilt" and watching those women quilt got me going again.
    Lol...this works for me too.

Sometimes just some mindless sewing will do the trick. Cut up some of your scraps into simple squares or strips and make a quilt to be donated to charity. I always have a quilt like this on the go and often stitch on this if I'm tired, between projects or lacking ambition. The Downey "pattern", a 8 1/2" focus fabric square alternated by a co-ordinating 4 patch is easy, quick and useful!

I give myself some time - usually will spend it reading (my second love) - then I will force myself to spend some time in my sewing room - usually that works for me - but don't be hard on yourself - because it will come back - you just need some down time.

When I get in a funk, I take a class and it gets me going again.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast