Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: In a slump!!! How can I get back in the swing of things?

Blog Entries
    I don't know what's wrong with me. For about a month now, I haven't wanted to work on anything. I pick up something and work a minute and put it back down and get something else. Then I put it down. I can't seem to get back in the groove of things. I've had a lot going on in my life that I've had to deal with but around here, that's normal. I just can't seem to get my desire to quilt back. Maybe I'm burned out. Do any of yall ever feel this way???? How can I get that DESIRE back??? Help!!

Blog Entries
    You need a small quick project. How about Happy Daisies? http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-58236-1.htm

Sometimes that happens..I look at it as recharging your creative batteries. When it happens to me ~ one day out of the blue I start something and sew for a week nonstop almost. =) then I might put it down and its 3 months before I sew again.

Blog Entries
    Yep - I get that way often - I feel like a need a 'block' of time to do something.

So when I'm in the mood you're in - I clean and organize. Then when I have that 'block' of time - I'm all ready to go.
    I think that handling fabrics helps!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Yes, I do get this way and understand your frustration.
    The only advice I have is to just enjoy the board for awhile. Maybe something will inspire you.
    Even if I'm not working on anything I think about quilting all day every day :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
    I don't know what's wrong with me. For about a month now, I haven't wanted to work on anything. I pick up something and work a minute and put it back down and get something else. Then I put it down. I can't seem to get back in the groove of things. I've had a lot going on in my life that I've had to deal with but around here, that's normal. I just can't seem to get my desire to quilt back. Maybe I'm burned out. Do any of yall ever feel this way???? How can I get that DESIRE back??? Help!!
    Yep, I've been there. Right now I have a lot going and have a couple projects I wanted to do for Christmas, but they're on the back burner. I am not even allowing myself to think of sewing, though I would love to. Sometimes when I get like you are right now, I get a quilting magazine or book and just start looking at pictures, or reading about a new technique I might like to try. It usually gets me fired up enough to start on a small project; and soon I am back in the swing. Good luck getting the desire back, but don't worry if it takes a while, it'll come.

I agree: enjoy the board. But then find a friend to sew with. You'll have girl time which is very important for one's mental and physical health and also get back into sewing. Well, you might even close the sweat shop and go buy more fabric. Sometimes that is a real shot in the arm too!

Seems to happen to me every fall. I just get the desire to knit instead of quilting. So I have several knitting projects going on at the moment, along with the quilts that need to get themselves finished in the next couple of weeks, at least the tops are done and they are small ones. Just ride it out until something strikes your fancy and you just have to make it. I figure in the next week or so, I will be back to quilting again.

Blog Entries
    For me it helps to have a friend over or a new toy...my Go...that motivated me. I also found a woman to do the meandering for a wonderful price so I want to get another one done. It helps to set a goal - a gift for a person and use fabrics of what their hobbies and likes are.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    You need a small quick project. How about Happy Daisies? http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-58236-1.htm
    I saw this when it was posted and thought then it was something I'd like to do . Thanks for reminding me. Might be just what the doctor ordered.

I love that Happy Daisies quilt but it doesn't look small or quick!! :D
    What am I missing here???? lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltinghere
    Yep - I get that way often - I feel like a need a 'block' of time to do something.

So when I'm in the mood you're in - I clean and organize. Then when I have that 'block' of time - I'm all ready to go.
    I think that handling fabrics helps!
    I thught about that. I went in and took out several bags of fabric and thought, I sure need to do something with this..... Then, I put it all back in the closet. I think I know I need to be cleaning...maybe that's what's wrong. I won't be able to rest until everything gets cleaned..UHGGGG Yuck!

I was this way a few weeks ago. I have a lot of bed sized quilts waiting for me to quilt. It was a little daunting. I decided to start a small Amish wall hanging to have something "small" to work on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I love that Happy Daisies quilt but it doesn't look small or quick!! :D
    What am I missing here???? lol
    That may be why I put it on the back burner. But, then again, nothing I ever do is small or quick. It takes a while to hand stitch things. And my DH has stacked blocks all over my machine table. Girls, I may have accidently stumbled on to part of my problem. MY DH is taking OVER!! He has fabric and blocks everywhere!!!! Its driving me nuts!!

I have a propensity for that and even my SIL got me a banner that says "Queen of the Unfinished Projects". I agree with people that suggest a simple quick project because then you can feel that sense of accomplishment and it might encourage you to continue on. I just did an Eleanor Burns Dresden Plate wallhanging and got it completed (including FMQ) within 8 days...quite a record for me!

Girls, I may have accidently stumbled on to part of my problem. MY DH is taking OVER!! He has fabric and blocks everywhere!!!! Its driving me nuts!![/quote]

make him use a seperate room and leave you to yours :lol: :lol: :lol:

This happens to all of us...maybe a trip to the fabric store without the plastic or check book...just to look. Or try a different kind of craft, it is time to start making those Christmas cards! It seems there is always something to do or craft. And it is OK to NOT sew! Just to be comfortable with yourself in whatever you are doing or NOT doing.

It's autumn. A time of reflection. The busy harvest time is through and winter is coming.

We changed the clocks about a month ago and that's an energy sapper for me. The light changes and I get in hibernation mode, and my energy slumps. So I can relate to your feelings.

Now, about that dh of yours. You each need your own space. Quilting is hard enough when we have our own stash, UFOs, WIPs, and current stuff to keep straight. Color coded bins might help keep your stuff separate. Maybe you and he could go on a shopping trip. That might get you outta that slump.

Blog Entries
    I've done this also...But what I did was literally force myself to get in my sewing room & sew. I was in a slump for about 2 months once & kept thinking "I've got to get in there & sew" So one day I just MADE myself & it came back to me. My intention was to just sew a little bit but once I got in there, all my worries disappeared & I started sewing! I wish you luck, I think we all go thru this

I can totally relate! I sewed and quilted so much this summer, that the desire to even sit down and start a project made me want to run! LOL

Yesterday, I decided I needed some quilt therapy and made two lap quilt tops. Now, I am not sure when I will get them past this stage, but it is a start! LOL

It does come back, I promise. Right now, with the Holidays and all, it is ok to say I need a break.

I usually take a break and "clean" my sewing room. That usually works to get me back in the mood to sew.

I think we all have those moments. When I have them I try a couple of different things. I have tons of jeans so I grab a pile and start cutting the usable parts. Then when I am ready to make a jean quilt the "yucky" part is done. Or I will go into my scrap bin and cut some of those into squares or strips. Even if I am not sewing, I feel like I got something accomplished and then the sewing bug eventually comes back!

I hear you - I think we all go through these slumps - I have been feeling it too. I know when winter comes and less light outside - I notice a difference in my mood - right now I am just making myself go into my sewing room that has a huge window with lots of light - sometimes I sew and sometimes I just bring in my laptop and surf the internet. Just hang in there - you are not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by litacats
    Girls, I may have accidently stumbled on to part of my problem. MY DH is taking OVER!! He has fabric and blocks everywhere!!!! Its driving me nuts!!
    make him use a seperate room and leave you to yours :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Oh my gosh!!!!!!!! Yeah, I like her idea lol
    Remember Virginia Woolf- " A Room of One's Own". She was way ahead of her time :thumbup:

I have to make a list of what I need to get done - housework, shopping, etc. Once it's done, I feel free to sew. I also took all my 'projects' & put them in bags. I just do one at a time. BTW, if my husband took up sewing, it would drive me crazy too! He'd have to get his own machine & his own room.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast