I am so sad.....

Old 09-27-2010, 01:57 PM

This is what happen and it makes me sad. I had in my stash the fabric to make a quilt for my roommate's parents for Christmas. One day her mom was setting in my room talking as I quilted and she spotted the main fabric and fell in love with it. So I told her my plan and she wanted me to make it right away and she would pay me $200.00 for it. She wanted a queen size with a 6" drop on each side. I needed to buy 4 more yards of the backing/border fabric to make it as big as she wanted it. My roomie said I am going to Hancocks tomorrow and I will pick it up for you. She did and I offered to pay her back the 39.00 she spent and she refused said, no thats ok..its for my parents. Sooo...I made the quilt and so she would not pay me for it I put Happy 47th Anniversary on the label and gifted it to them on that day. Today I got a really nice Thank You card for the time spent making them the quilt. My roomie and her son got one too, which her son left on the table. So I picked it up and was going to take it to my room ( they are both the same front and I thought it was mine), it was a card thanking my roomie for the quilt she commissioned for their anniversary! She said thank you for the love it represents and we will treasure it always! I am so hurt and so sad. I don't know what to do but pray for her! And vent to my QB friends. Thank you all for letting me rant! It was the tribal Horses quilt, I think I posted on here!
Old 09-27-2010, 02:04 PM

Oh, that's just not nice.Sending you hugs, hpe it helps a little..
Old 09-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I'm sorry this happened to you. Next time get half the money upfront on a commissioned quilt. Some ppl just don't realize what goes into a quilt plus it sounds like your roomy may have told her mom she would pay for it.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:07 PM

thats just wrong...i am so sorry this happened to you..
Old 09-27-2010, 02:15 PM

That is wrong, but that is how some people are, I can understand why you feel as you do. That is the type of thing that could happen if I did that, now I say no and if they do not get the no the first time I say it again.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:17 PM

Maybe I am a bit forward, but it is always nice to call someone back and let them know you got the "thank you" card. Then proceed to tell them how much time you put into creating this quilt. Then tell them it was nice of their daughter (?) to pay for the extra fabric when she told you that she wanted a queen size. So without, getting into the situation of the commissioning part, they will know that it was your heart intention and personal gift. Albeit, my heart goes out to you.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Power Poster

Awww honey, I feel bad for you too. No matter what though, you did something from the heart. You know it and we know it.
And we appreciate you.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:25 PM

I'm sad for you, too. Have had things like that happen to me through years of sewing for others. It is as if there is no value put on your efforts. ( you make it look so easy!) Forgive and be aware next time. Wishing you the best, you have a good heart. :cry: :cry: :cry: :thumbup:
Old 09-27-2010, 02:36 PM

Sorry your roomy did this to you. That being said you have the option to:
Chalk it up to a lesson learned. For me that would be a hard pill to swallow. I would feel that I could not totally trust her anymore.
Pay her the $39 and let the recipient "know" that it was strictly a present from you.
Mention to roomy that you originally intended to gift the whole amount but since it was customized you really could use the balance of the promised commission payment.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:38 PM
np3
Power Poster

When things like this happen, I always remind myself that I did it with love, not for the recognitions. Hugs to you.