Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I am such a strange person................ >

I am such a strange person................

I am such a strange person................

Old 09-26-2010, 01:02 AM

Not even a year into quilting I have done already quite a few things and experience the same thing whenever I get close to finishing a project:
I spend more and more time on this board and it looks like I dont even want it to be "over"!? First I thought I lack of motivation but it is more like I dont want to let go. Kind of empty nest syndrom if I am done.......

Maybe it is also the spring-cleaning of the sewingroom after each project that keeps me from finishing!?

Well, if that isnt strange.......
Granny
Old 09-26-2010, 01:39 AM
Power Poster

maybe thats why some of us have 6-10 projects going at once so, we never have to 'really' finish...
hmmmmmmmmm
i do try to clean up and put away when one project is completed but i also have more than one working at a time in various stages.
a few years ago i went through a year that i did not finish anything...it seemed like as soon as the end was near, only an hour or so to go i would put it aside and start something different...by the holidays i had 15-20 quilts in various stages of 'un-done' and nothing to give. so in January i decided to start a new year i would finish one of those before i could start any new thing...i knew i would never finish them all before starting new. i did pretty good that year; finished something like 14 quilts from the year before and even finished some new projects...made myself a promise to still finish something before starting new. I still have 2 unfinished from way back then...but i am better at getting them done. and as for spending too much sewing time here... i set my self a timer...i will spend 45 minutes of the computer, then i have to go do something else. if i come back later i set that timer again. i force limits on myself otherwise i could just sit here reading all the posts everyday and never accomplish anything.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:45 AM

I think it also has to do with the fear that all the effort and time that went into the blocks wont look good sewn together as a quilt............!?
Old 09-26-2010, 04:14 AM
Power Poster

Granny I have both your problems!! I don't finish my quilts and I'm on here too much!! hahaha
I'm always afraid I'll miss something and I get bored working on the same quilt so I always have too many UFO's :D
But eventually they get finished!
Old 09-26-2010, 05:19 AM

I get the tops done and hit a big snag when it comes to sandwiching and quilting.

I'm thinking I need to start doing quilt as you go...maybe then I'd finish something.

It's like once I see the top done it ought to be finished entirely, not twice as much more to go....
Old 09-26-2010, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

I slow down when it's time to sew on the binding. I just don't enjoy that part of the quilt.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:40 AM

I'm just crediting it to hitting high points of creativity, and commitments. Quilt for a while, make tops for a while, and deal with something that was a flop in my mind when get around to it or don't know that it can get better. Really glad when finished ( Happy Dance Time) :)
Old 09-26-2010, 09:54 AM

i love this board, i have made friends, and learning new things and gives me a place to be me and talk to others whom have had same things going on with their lifes etc, someone to share things with and wow i could go on,
HUGS Dora
Old 09-26-2010, 10:53 AM

one hour sewing, one hour on QB, one hour sewing, two hours on QB..One hour sewing three hours on QBm etc,
Works for me. It is addicting. When I am not selling and those pm's die down, I do into withdrawals. ROFL

one hour here...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]99710[/ATTACH]

three hours here....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]99789[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-99705.gif   attachment-99784.gif  
Old 09-26-2010, 11:22 AM

I absolutely understand where all of you are coming from... anxious to start, hate to finish. I haven't been quilting all that long and don't have a huge number of quilts to my name, but I recognized my pattern of behavior about 18 months ago. So (like ckcowl) I MADE myself finish before I could start another project. I rewarded myself after it was finished and the sewing room cleaned up and ready for the next project. And of course, the reward is always a new sewing tool or gadget or little item or if it was a big project, a quilt book!! That works for me.
Melody