Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Going Strange with Excitement

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I'm soooooo excited!!!

Only 15 minutes ago I got my copy of EQ6!!! the lady even dropped it off at my work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! why oh why cant' the next hour and a half go faster so I can get home and play play play!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay... so needing to know from those of you out there if there is any advice I could do with when I am to start playing with my new toy!

The lady (who is also a student of mine and sells fabric and sewing stuff from her home) also order a copy of a beginner's book to EQ that she bought for herself.. she is loaning it to me.. she is calling it her "Special Ed book" She and a couple other gals in the class joke around saying they are my Special Ed students LOL

oooh I'm sooooooooo excited!!

ooh CRAP!!! I have a hair appt. first right after work before I play.. hmmm I think I'll take the Special Ed EQ book to the salon with me so I can read it while waiting for my colour foils to set!!!

Did anyone else get this excited when they got their copy??? or is it just me???

Cheers
    Andrea

Congratulations on your purchase. Unfortunately I do not own the program but congrats to you.

Kyia

wioopiieee!! its 4:30!! work day is over.... getting the hair done, gonna run up to Costco to price and possibly buy an external hard drive then home for the girl's regular quilting night and to play with my new toy!!!!!!!

toodles til tomorrow!

hi Aggi,
    I had gotten the EQ5 one but never did use it.....I never really understand I guess how it worked, I still have it, but its not downloaded on my pc.
    Good luck on yours.
    scarlett

I use my EQ6 a lot and love it! If you really want to get the most out of it you might want to try to get on the info-eq list. You can get help with just about anything there, just be prepared for a lot of emails. Daily digest would be my thoughts.

My kids gave me EQ6 a year ago Christmas and I am always playing with it. You will love it

Although I've never made a quilt I've designed with EQ6, I'm always playing with it.

Good hint--take it to Kinko's and get it spiral-bound. Doesn't cost much, and then it will lay flat on the desk while you're looking at it and figuring things out. They'll even do it while you wait, so you don't have to leave your precious book behind! :wink:

So Aggi - you've left us hanging here!!! HOW WAS IT????????

Quote Originally Posted by annmarie
    So Aggi - you've left us hanging here!!! HOW WAS IT????????

I'M LOVING IT!!! I was given a loan of a book called EQ6 Simplified by the girl who sold me my own software (she is a student of mine that sells fabrics and notions and quilty stuff from her home). I almost have the first lesson done.. I think there are 8-9 lessons in total.. I think my next step is to learn how to calculate yardage and such.

I need to know if there is a way I can display my designs on this website for instance or if I get into eq challenges on their website and such??? any suggestions welcome :) I reeeally would like to show off my first quilt design to you all!

Maybe you could send a PM to Patrice, she seems to be able to make EQ do whatever she wants? I have EQ5 but just play around with it.

My partner (the one that sleeps in his own bed) has made sure that I have about every iteration of EQ there is. I don't much care for it. I have found that it isn't user friendly at all. Maybe I should get EQ for Dummies?

Anita

Anita... I got the book called EQ6 Simplified... My friend tells me its the "Special Ed" version!! LOL.. works for me!!!

Thanks, Aggi,

I will look into it. At present, I have enough quilts to keep me occupied without making my own patterns!

Anita

I bought the el cheapo program. It is the Design Wizard and was only about $29 . Very simple to work and has a lot of fun fabrics, blocks, and projects. Your can design your own quilts by using the blocks and fabrics provided and then print out the quilt, it's specifics, and it will give you the amount of each fabric to buy and how to do each block by rotory, temple, or foundation methods and print those out too. I've had a lot of fun with it and don't even know what all it can do. :oops: Anyone intimidated by the QE or (like me) don't want to pay that much money the Wizard is the way to go. I've already done several quilts using it and have a bunch I've designed in the file. Each month it gives you another project with several new blocks and fabrics to download and you can put them in the "My Favorite" spots in the program for later use. I've had a blast with it and it is really easy to use. :lol:

Thanks for the information on Design Wizard. I iwll see if I can find it either online (ebay) or amazon. I avoid shopping at real stores any longer because of rude people. (Like those at Michaels.) I recently ordered some fabric from England online and had it in about a week. This was after I screwed up the first order, cancelled it, reordered, and then added to it. Somebody deciphered all my problems and got me the right fabric with the proper charges.

Anita

Quote Originally Posted by Lois-nounoe
    I bought the el cheapo program. It is the Design Wizard and was only about $29 . Very simple to work and has a lot of fun fabrics, blocks, and projects. Your can design your own quilts by using the blocks and fabrics provided and then print out the quilt, it's specifics, and it will give you the amount of each fabric to buy and how to do each block by rotory, temple, or foundation methods and print those out too. I've had a lot of fun with it and don't even know what all it can do. :oops: Anyone intimidated by the QE or (like me) don't want to pay that much money the Wizard is the way to go. I've already done several quilts using it and have a bunch I've designed in the file. Each month it gives you another project with several new blocks and fabrics to download and you can put them in the "My Favorite" spots in the program for later use. I've had a blast with it and it is really easy to use. :lol:
    I never heard of that program before.. sounds like a great package and can do quite alot!!! Its fun to be able to design your own quilts!! I'm loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by anita211
    Thanks for the information on Design Wizard. I iwll see if I can find it either online (ebay) or amazon. I avoid shopping at real stores any longer because of rude people. (Like those at Michaels.) I recently ordered some fabric from England online and had it in about a week. This was after I screwed up the first order, cancelled it, reordered, and then added to it. Somebody deciphered all my problems and got me the right fabric with the proper charges.

Anita
    Go to "quiltdesignwizard.com" and you can order online there. That is also where you go, after installing the CD, to get the monthly projects to download. They also have an archive of all the previous projects for the past few years. If you want to download them all (I did :lol: ) then be prepared for an evening if you have the dail up like I have. It's worth it thought. :wink:

I never heard of that program before.. sounds like a great package and can do quite alot!!! Its fun to be able to design your own quilts!! I'm loving it![/quote

The Design Wizard isn't as complicated as the QE programs but it is a lot cheaper! It will bring up the mattress sizes for the quilt you want to make, set up how many blocks of what size, on point or not, sashing and borders of whatever size you want and a lot of other stuff I haven't even tried yet! You can't do curves or applique but I've gotten close to what I want and you can get a pretty good idea of how your colors should look together. All in all it's a very good program for the price and a LOT of FUN!!! I haven't seen it in stores but I got mine through a catalogue that came to the house. You can get it at the web site and probably through Ebay or Amazon. I have never really gone to those site. One day. :lol:

Hi,

I see it is from the same folks that gives us EQ6... I have broadband and have literally dozens of quilt patterns in folders. However, when I wnat to make a quilt from scratch, I usually turn to my old 'friend' the log cabin. I love log cabins. They are fast, stylish depending on fabrics, stunning, can be quilted or tied with the same effect, and is the first quilt that I actually made. It is still on my bed 17 years later and a lot the worse for wear...

I don't have as much quilt stuff on my lappy as I do my desktop or work computer. If only the State of MN knew how much stuff people get while they work!

Okay, supper time.

Thanks for the info.
    Anita

Design Wizard sounds great to me also!!! thanks for the tips.
    G

The wizzard sounds like a good place to start. I'll look in to ordering it next payday.

So Aggi, where is that quilt design? I mean, it has been a whole 6 days now! :lol:

I am anxious to see when you do get it done though! Be sure and let us peek!

And Congrats. I have EQ5 and have only designed one quilt on it and have had it over 2 years. :(

hee heee...I think I'm gonna need more than 6 days to figure this out!!! I still have alot of learning to do before presenting something here!

hee hee no rest for me!!! LOL

I also have the Design Wizard and love it. You can make the blocks any size you want also. It is lots of fun.

I am learning EQ6--I had used Design Wizard for several months but wanted to do things it wouldn't do, so took the plunge. I had worked with Word Perfect Draw/Presentation when I was still working and am finding the many of the techniques are similiar. I printed out quilt labels today. First time I've done labels onto fabric with my jetink printer. They turned out pretty well---I got in a little bit of a hurry to wash them in the setting fluid. I'll wait longer next time and let the ink cure a while longer in the fabric before I set it. Anyway, it was fun to design something I needed NOW--made one to put on a birthday quilt for my sister.
    Practice is what makes it easy! I keep going back to the book for information. The lessons that come with the instruction book are pretty easy to follow.
    It will be a while before I can automatically do what I want to!