I could use a Geek

Old 05-22-2011, 05:37 PM

I have Dell Latitude D800 with Windows XP. When I turn it on the page comes on and says to inter administrator password.

This computer had been off for some time and for some reason when I inter my password it keeps telling me to enter administrator password and after a few attemps it shuts down.

I wanted to take up to the hospital to see if my daughter Susan would use it, but so much for that idea now.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:55 PM

According to my geek, you must have the incorrect password. The only way to fix it really other than trying several different passwords you might have used is to wipe out the whole box and reload it .
Old 05-22-2011, 06:06 PM

i kept having something pop up on my computer wanting a password. when i called tech support for help they told me to just hit enter. apparently the password was nonexistent. maybe that will work for you here if you never set one up.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:38 PM

Make sure caps lock and number lock are off when typing in your password.

If it will allow you, shut it down illegally (pretty much hold the power button down and do it manually) When it starts back up, it should give you the option of what mode to start up in. Safety mode should bypass the password according to my geek but, i make no promises. Not all computers will do that (mine does and I hope yours will to)
Old 05-22-2011, 06:40 PM
Banned

Check to see if the caps lock is on and if it has any numbers in the password see if the numbers lock key is on. It is something simple you just have to figure it out.

If this doesnt work then I can get you in through the back door and you can reset your pass word.

Billy
Old 05-22-2011, 06:42 PM

Did you ever set an administrator password? If not, then try the "enter" key suggestion from GwynR.

If you did set one, did you check to see if caps lock is on? I accidently hit that danged key all the time and the password doesn't work in capslock.

Does your pc have a Guest ID? If so, maybe you could get into the PC that way.

Good luck!
Old 05-22-2011, 07:38 PM

Can you get me in the back door?

I have tried the following and no caps lock or numbers lock are not on, I really do not even have a password block to enter a password in. I have tried hitting enter several,several,several times without using a password, I have tried hitting the esc & f8,esc & f11,esc & f12

I have entered 30 different passwords and still no luck.

When I turn it on I get the following:
This computer system #59HTD51-595B is protected by a password authentication system. You can not access the data on this computer without a correct password

Please Type in the primary or administrator password.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by GwynR
i kept having something pop up on my computer wanting a password. when i called tech support for help they told me to just hit enter. apparently the password was nonexistent. maybe that will work for you here if you never set one up.
Yes, this works. I had to do this when mine (never me- ;) ) was having issues a while back. By hitting enter once or twice, you by-pass the password command.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by pattral
Can you get me in the back door?

I have tried the following and no caps lock or numbers lock are not on, I really do not even have a password block to enter a password in. I have tried hitting enter several,several,several times without using a password, I have tried hitting the esc & f8,esc & f11,esc & f12

I have entered 30 different passwords and still no luck.

When I turn it on I get the following:
This computer system #59HTD51-595B is protected by a password authentication system. You can not access the data on this computer without a correct password

Please Type in the primary or administrator password.
Numbers lock needs to be ON. ;)