Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I did it!

I decided to be "mal au fois" and clean out my closet. Wow! I found two large chests, one with unused fabrics, 2 and 3 yards in lengths, beautiful colors, knits and gabardine, some cotton, but the wrong kind. The other chest has very nice clothes, two sizes too small. I am sitting here, agonizing over what to do with it. I really could use the space. Any suggestions? There is a beautiful winter coat, London Fog, with lining, I wish I could wear. My husband's solution: "Loose weight!" Sure!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Hi Gilla!! I don't know your circumstances - just sharing what I have done.
    I once spent several years keeping things for the day I would fit back into them. Didn't happen!!
    Finally donated a ton of clothing to an organization that directly gave them to people in need.
    You have no idea how good that made me feel. If I lose the weight I'll treat myself to something new :D

I have been taking tips from a friend of mine - if you don't want or need it, put it in a box, priced already for a yard sale... then have a yard sale once or twice a year and what doesn't sell, try one more yard sale then after that, out the door it goes to GoodWill. I still donate a ton of stuff but I also get an added benefit of getting a little money to get something else that I might need or to go out to dinner.

I also sold a ton of fabric on Craigslist recently.
    I am organizing and supplying all the fabric for a children's charity quilt sewing day in October so a lot of what I have will be used that way (if all goes right!)

My baby boy (he's 22) moved out and when he left I decided to go through all the bags of clothing that he and I don't wear anymore and we ended up giving 18 garbage bags of clothing to charity. I have room now to collect more quilting fabric.

Sell it on Craigslist, maybe sell some here on this site, donate what doesn't sell to charity . . . or if you really love a particular outfit, cut it up and use the fabric in a quilt! :D I should be doing more of that instead of sitting here at the computer! LOL! When my MIL passed away a year ago, I inherited a ton of her clothes, so that's my plan with most of it that I didn't use. There are a couple really nice 60's Jackie-O style outfits that I may try to sell as "retro" clothing. Good luck to you!

Good ideas! You could also take them to a consignmentstore to make a bit of cash!

Blog Entries
    The theme here is "get rid of the clothes" right? Make room for other things and do it in whatever way suits you...donate/sell...are you glad you asked? Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Hi Gilla!! I don't know your circumstances - just sharing what I have done.
    I once spent several years keeping things for the day I would fit back into them. Didn't happen!!
    Finally donated a ton of clothing to an organization that directly gave them to people in need.
    You have no idea how good that made me feel. If I lose the weight I'll treat myself to something new :D
    Susan is right.....If you lose weight, you DESERVE new clothes!!

I just take everything to Goodwill or Salvation Army that I don't want and I don't really care what they do with them. They are out of my house and that is all I care about.