Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I finally outsmarted the squirrels!!! >

I finally outsmarted the squirrels!!!

I finally outsmarted the squirrels!!!

Old 05-15-2011, 07:17 AM

I have several bird feeders and love watching my birds. The only thing that ruins it for me are those #$@&*^%$ squirrels.
They will fight the birds for the right to be on the feeders, they will run them off, I have seen them fight blue jays and win. I wish the person that said 'squirrel-proof feeder' would come and look at mine anytime, anyday.

I was at Walmart looking for a new feeder, didn't find anything that I liked but did buy a cool looking hummingbird feeder and some seed. Went to Ace Hardware and there it was looking at me, a bird feeder that looked to the answer to my prayers. I bought it, bought some plants and came home.

Today was the day of my planned assail of the squirrels. I unloaded everything and the seed. I filled the new feeder up and waited and watched. It didn't take long for those little %$@#*&^%^ to show up. One stayed on the bottom, the other jumped on the clothesline pole. He gingerly walked on the top and then grabbed the feeder to steady himself and Wham! Bam! Thank you Ma'am! he was picking his butt off the ground. I will try to get pics as well as pics of the new hummingbird feeder. It resembles and old Coke bottle turned upside down and screwed in the base. I love it.

The top is metal as well as the bottom, as the squirrel tries to position himself, he falls off. I need to catch some pics but they must be getting tired. I spent close to $30, but it is having its desired affect.

My latest tool in my war on the squirrels
[ATTACH=CONFIG]197302[/ATTACH]

New hummingbird feeder, cool don't you think?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]197311[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-197296.jpe   attachment-197305.jpe  
Old 05-15-2011, 07:20 AM

I'm off to Ace for mine. Now if I could get those squirrels to leave my peaches alone!
Old 05-15-2011, 07:21 AM

I am going to look for that bird feeder. Glad you shared.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Nice feeders. Watch out because they will chew holes in the plastic so that they can grip it and eat away. I had them do that to mine.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:29 AM
Jim

One nice thing about my moving...The last house we had a ton of those so called " %$()=^&^() squirrels " you speak of. Now at the new house no squirrels...so happy about it
Old 05-15-2011, 07:31 AM

Good find.

If I had that many squirrels looking for a hand-out, I would keep a hunting slingshot handy (and a recipe book for how to cook squirrel meat)...
Old 05-15-2011, 07:33 AM

mmm I must be in the minority.... we think it's funny to watch the squirrels too.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Nice feeders. Watch out because they will chew holes in the plastic so that they can grip it and eat away. I had them do that to mine.
yep, you're right cjomomma ~ :D

With the short hanging cord, they'll be able to hang from the clothesline and reach down and chew the top and get in that way .. they are very, very crafty and clever little creatures :D

I used to keep my dog food in a large outdoor trash can on the carport and they chewed thru the lid - about 6in hole - to get inside and eat. :roll: :D Now they have to *steal* from the dogs .. much more of a challenge :mrgreen: :lol:
Old 05-15-2011, 07:43 AM

I normally don't mind the squirrels but these are something else. I had two huge 50 pound heavy-duty plastic bins outside for my bird seed and they chewed through the top of one. I love my doves, cardinals, finches, woodpeckers. indigo buntings and even the little wrens. But these squirrels show up at 5-8 at a time and devour everything. Birdfeeders are for birds. Just too much pro-creating going on with those varmints. I don't like guns, but was tempted to get a pellet rifle, this is more humane and funny.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:54 AM

<---------- Keeps everything out of the yard, including bees! LOL he is sooo funny when something comes into his yard. I have tried to get him to stop chasing the bees, but he insists!