squirrels

Old 02-13-2011, 12:19 PM

any suggestions for keeping the squirrels out of the suet bird feeder? we moved the feeder from the tree because it was too convienent for the squirrel. We hung it on a pole thinking the squirrels couldn't climb the pole.....wrong!! They just shinny right up.....no problem.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

I don't know of anything that would work with my squirrels. They love to tease my poodle. The big owls don't even bother them.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:28 PM

I remember seeing a bird feeder that was supposed to be squirrel proof. It had a tall pole, with a much bigger pipe on it, so big the squirrels had to climb INSIDE it to get up, and the top was closed. In addition to the bigger pipe being too large for the critters to climb, it had vaseline rubbed on it!!
Old 02-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

I tie my suet feeders shut with the wire strips that come on bread bags, etc. This is so the squirrels can't open the feeder and gorge themselves on the entire suet block at leisure (which they have done!). Otherwise I just let them eat what they can get at through the wire mesh. I do think they are less likely to go after the suet when there are other foods they can get at (such as sunflower seeds).
Old 02-13-2011, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I tie my suet feeders shut with the wire strips that come on bread bags, etc. This is so the squirrels can't open the feeder and gorge themselves on the entire suet block at leisure (which they have done!). Otherwise I just let them eat what they can get at through the wire mesh. I do think they are less likely to go after the suet when there are other foods they can get at (such as sunflower seeds).
i have done that too w/bread bag ties...also if you can mount feeder above platform that squirrel can't get up onto from pole helps...i have put in middle of rose bush before too...slows 'em down a little
Old 02-13-2011, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

usually for the metal poles you can find a large curved metal "bowl" you slip over the pole upside down,curve facing the ground.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:57 PM

I would say try greasing the pole with a little cooking oil. That might work.
Being they can jump, grease it up as high as you can go. That might work!
Old 02-13-2011, 12:58 PM

What do you mean, "Bird Feeders?" The squirrels think those are "Squirrel Feeders."
Old 02-13-2011, 01:03 PM
LMB

We had the same problem. The little buggers ate the suit, the seed, and all in about 20 minutes. Poor little birds didnt get anything. Then we discovered PVC pipe. We took the feeder off the pole, slid the pipe over the pole and put the feeder back. The squirrels cant climb the pole at all... they try... but they just slide down. It's a riot to see them go around and around the pole trying to figure out how to get to the goodies...
I will run out and take a pic with my phone so you can see what it looks like. Granted it's not beautiful, but it really does work! After you try all the bags and other stuff... spend the 14 to 20$ and never have to worrie about it again.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-162761.bmp  
Old 02-13-2011, 01:10 PM

We use to have the same problem, so I took empty plastic juice containers (the kind that Fruit Juicy Juice comes in, clear 64 oz containers) I take a knife and cut a slit along the length of the container, this allows me to sort of open it up and place it around the pole. I put three stacked one after the other up the pole from the ground. They can't jump that high so they can't grip the pole and they fall back down.
I have had these on the poles probably a good 5 years, good summer or winter. And it didn't cost anything.
Good Luck