Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I have a new friend that will keep me happy for years... >

I have a new friend that will keep me happy for years...

I have a new friend that will keep me happy for years...

Old 05-08-2017, 04:04 PM

Congratulations! A good place to start might be to make a simple pillow case or an envelope style small pillow cover. You are in for a ton of fun.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:39 PM

Well, It only took me about three hours to get it threaded, not as difficult or complicated as I feared, but man it is hard to see those little holes! I did manage to complete my first project before I broke a needle. I made a flannel pillowcase for my room mate. She was thrilled with it, and I am thrilled with Paloma. The first photo is DH being camera shy, and the second shows the actual print of the flannel. (Roomie (37) likes everything she thinks is "hippie" lol, if she only knew. I lived it)
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
Old 05-25-2017, 01:56 PM

Wow, I must be living right lately. Yesterday DH and I were exploring a new local liquidation store and imagine my surprise and delight at finding the newer desktop flexible OTTLite for 13.99 brand new in the sealed box! Yup, it is now sitting next to Paloma to help with threading all those little holes. Cheapest I have seen one was between $40 - $$65. Happy feet dance again! I wish you all the kind of luck I have had lately!
Old 05-25-2017, 02:09 PM

Well good for you........I have ever bonded with mine........it intimidates me..........
Old 05-25-2017, 02:20 PM

Overlocks use a special needle (who knew?). Maybe why yours broke is she used a regular sewing machine needle.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by calla View Post
Well good for you........I have ever bonded with mine........it intimidates me..........
The only reason I was brave enough to tackle mine is I did not have to pay full price for mine. I am guessing you did, but do not let that stop you. Mine has a threading diagram right on the machine. Check to see if yours does, or look in the manual. Just sit down, take a deep breath, and try. Do not work at it so long that you get frustrated, it took me several days to get mine to make a perfect stitch, but if I can, you can. My first project was a pillowcase and doing it 'burrito style' took me less than 30 minutes to complete! (I did use a magnifying glass and forceps to thread it, but I got it done.) I now feel my sewing mojo coming back after almost a two year delay. Come explore our new machines together. I believe in you.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
Overlocks use a special needle (who knew?). Maybe why yours broke is she used a regular sewing machine needle.
I called Husqvarna/Viking, and they said my model uses any quality sewing machine needles, but they did recommend Schmitz or better quality. Good thing I had already learned the value of quality needles from you all here, so I already had what I. Needed.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:09 PM

Congratulations on your purchase. Many happy sewing times. 😊
Old 05-27-2017, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I called Husqvarna/Viking, and they said my model uses any quality sewing machine needles, but they did recommend Schmitz or better quality. Good thing I had already learned the value of quality needles from you all here, so I already had what I. Needed.
*that should have read "Schmetz" needles.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:33 PM

For those of us who are still learning, I have a suggestion for you. Once you get the machine threaded, and do the happy dance cause you can do it, remember when you sit back down to sew, that if it has a telescoping thread guide bar on the top, to be sure it is in the up position before you try to use the machine. I have already forgot to do that (twice) and after having to change the needle once and rethread once, I think I will remember to check that first! Lol.