Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I have a new friend that will keep me happy for years... >

I have a new friend that will keep me happy for years...

I have a new friend that will keep me happy for years...

Old 05-01-2017, 08:32 PM

Default I have a new friend that will keep me happy for years...

DH and I were out running around paying bills today and saw a sign that said rummage sale. The words "rummage sale" might as well be a lode stone for me. We stopped, and as I walked in the front doors, I looked across the room to see a beautiful Husqvarna Viking Serger. When I got close enough to read the price tag, DH thought I had lost my mind. I picked it up, and started saying "mine, mine, mine". Thankfully the bills were paid and I had enough left to get it. The lady who was acting as cashier said it had been hers, but she was now bored with it. Yippee! Yippee! I have wanted one for years. I hoped for an inexpensive serger "someday". I now have what I have always seen as the "Mercedes" of sergers!
The only thing it did not have was the manual. As soon as I got home, I looked up a manual online, and with shipping it will be $16.25. So far I have spent $96.24. Best deal I have found in years. So, without further ado, I would like to introduce Penny (old faithful inexpensive Brother) and Petunia's (higher end Brother Quilting machine) new sister machine, Paloma. She needs a good cleaning, but she works great. If any of you have any tips or techniques to help me learn how to use her, please chime in. I am eagerly waiting her manual to get started. I had a little three thread overlock for a while that I had no idea was really a toy, but otherwise I am completely new to sergers (hence not knowing the first one was a toy).[ATTACH=CONFIG]572398[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 05-01-2017, 08:54 PM

I don't know about the Husqvarna sergers, but I love my BabyLock Imagine. Don't be afraid to experiment. When I first got mine, I spent an evening reading the manual and project suggestions. The next day I tried out all the projects that were suggested that I had the proper materials for. I sew a lot of costumes and my serger is my go to machine. It's fast, makes a great finished look on clothing and I've even used it to sew sequin strands and ribbons and other trims to have a finished look. Enjoy!
Old 05-01-2017, 10:20 PM
QM
Power Poster

It's great when we get the right new toy!
Old 05-01-2017, 10:27 PM

Congratulations! I have always wanted one too and just couldn't justify the cost since I haven't made any clothes in 40 years. But for that price I would have done the same thing you did. Especially with the original owner sitting right there and it looks so pristine. Too bad she didn't have the manual or you would be playing with it right now.

Enjoy!!!
Old 05-02-2017, 12:58 AM
Power Poster

Congratulations on your new baby. I am sure that you will have fun. BrendaK
Old 05-02-2017, 03:09 AM

I have this serger and it has never let me down!
Old 05-02-2017, 03:18 AM

I am so envious! You did the right thing.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:30 AM

I have a BERNINA serger that I have had for years. It is frequently and does certain applications better than my sewing machine. I wouldn't want to be without it. It is a 'middle of the road' machine. It requires very little maintenance-except frequent cleaning. Re-threading is not a problem since I tie knots between the old and new thread, loosen the tensions and pull them through to the needle area. I haven't actually 'threaded' it in years. Glad I have it.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:45 AM

Congratulations! It is always fun to find something you have been dreaming of for some time. Enjoy!
Old 05-03-2017, 03:07 AM
Power Poster

Congrats. I know you will enjoy Paloma. I have a Brother 1034D which turns out is simple to thread and it has been fun to work with. Fun times ahead, right??