Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I need help with strawberry plants. >

I need help with strawberry plants.

I need help with strawberry plants.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:43 PM

I live in zone 6 and set out two "June Bearing" strawberry plants last spring. These plants have mulitiplied to about 40 and I would like to line them up in a row so I could walk down the row to pick them without stepping on the plants next summer. Can I just cut the runners off and plant the small rooted ends? And if so is now a good time to do it?
Old 09-28-2010, 08:32 PM

My nephew has had his in pots for two weeks now. He took the cuttings/ rootings/shoots and put them in soil. But you water the leaves every couple of hours until they root then water soil seeply after that. They look great so far. Do you have a a county extension office?, they can help.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:11 AM

Growing up we had acres of strawberries. I of course had to help take care of them. My father would have us take the runners and line them up in the row, plant them, keep them watered until they took root. Then we went back after they took root and snipped the runner off. Hope this helps. Something else we had to do..with new plants like that..we had to take blossoms off the first year so the plants would put their energy in growth, not the fruit.
Peace and Blessings,
Old 09-29-2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by amazon
My nephew has had his in pots for two weeks now. He took the cuttings/ rootings/shoots and put them in soil. But you water the leaves every couple of hours until they root then water soil seeply after that. They look great so far. Do you have a a county extension office?, they can help.
Yes, I have a county extension office - I thought about asking them as I came home from town today. I'll read the answers here and if I need more information I'll give them a call. Thank you for reminding me.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Janetlmt
Growing up we had acres of strawberries. I of course had to help take care of them. My father would have us take the runners and line them up in the row, plant them, keep them watered until they took root. Then we went back after they took root and snipped the runner off. Hope this helps. Something else we had to do..with new plants like that..we had to take blossoms off the first year so the plants would put their energy in growth, not the fruit.
Peace and Blessings,
My runners have already taken root so I guess I could snipe them off and replant in rows? Hummm, I didn't know to remove the blossoms the first year, but the plants have really multiplied (a lot) so I must have lucked out. Thank you for your help.