Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Gardening - Looking for Peony Plants

  1. #1
    Senior Member JackieG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sunny Southwest
    Posts
    508
    I LOVE peonies, but can't find any in my area. Found one on eb**, but the seller wanted a small fortune to ship it. Please PM me if you have any shrubs you need to divide. Willing to pay for them or trade in fabric. :)

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Springfield,South Carolina
    Posts
    518
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieG
    I LOVE peonies, but can't find any in my area. Found one on eb**, but the seller wanted a small fortune to ship it. Please PM me if you have any shrubs you need to divide. Willing to pay for them or trade in fabric. :)
    Jackie, do you have a Lowe's near you. I got some at Lowes.

  3. #3
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,044
    I wish you were closer, I would give you some. I wouldnt know how to ship them, with out them freezing!

  4. #4
    Super Member ssgramma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY
    Posts
    2,030
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieG
    I LOVE peonies, but can't find any in my area. Found one on eb**, but the seller wanted a small fortune to ship it. Please PM me if you have any shrubs you need to divide. Willing to pay for them or trade in fabric. :)
    You may not find them in your area as they may not be suitable to the climate zone. Does it get cold enough for long enough for them?

  5. #5
    Super Member Rebecca VLQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,490
    I bought some through Spring Hill a few years ago, and they're doing great!

  6. #6
    Super Member donnajean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Holland, PA
    Posts
    4,321
    You would not believe how many peony tubulars I threw out last fall. I never thought of posting availability on QB. I supply all my neighbors with perennials, but had no takers for the peonies.

  7. #7
    Super Member MinnieKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    northern Minnesota
    Posts
    4,520
    Blog Entries
    3
    Breck's has gorgeous peonys ... they're a bit pricey but they have GREAT customer service and will replace anything that doesn't grow.

  8. #8
    Kas
    Kas is offline
    Super Member Kas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    2,050
    Here's the skinny. Do not transplant or divide peonies at this time of year. Fall is the correct time for that. To get the most wonderful plants, order from A&D Peonies in Snohomish, WA. I have been to the garden many times and they have helped me identify some that were gifts with no names. Very nice people with VERY nice plants. I went once and they had a very fragrant pink that was mis tagged. The guy wasn't sure what it was, so that fall I went back and got the whole plant for $15! I still don't know what it is, but it smells lovely.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnieKat
    Breck's has gorgeous peonys ... they're a bit pricey but they have GREAT customer service and will replace anything that doesn't grow.
    Ditto

  10. #10
    Senior Member JackieG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sunny Southwest
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by ssgramma
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieG
    I LOVE peonies, but can't find any in my area. Found one on eb**, but the seller wanted a small fortune to ship it. Please PM me if you have any shrubs you need to divide. Willing to pay for them or trade in fabric. :)
    You may not find them in your area as they may not be suitable to the climate zone. Does it get cold enough for long enough for them?
    Yes, it gets cold enough for them to go dormant. My neighbor has some and I noticed the gophers leave them alone.

  11. #11
    Senior Member JackieG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sunny Southwest
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    I wish you were closer, I would give you some. I wouldnt know how to ship them, with out them freezing!
    Freezing is fine. They are still dormant. If you'd like, PM me and I'll pay for them. Just let me know which colors you have. I found some online, but they start at $11.99 and up for each bare root plant or tuber. Someone has mentioned Lowe's and I'll check them out.

  12. #12
    Senior Member JackieG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sunny Southwest
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by Kas
    Here's the skinny. Do not transplant or divide peonies at this time of year. Fall is the correct time for that. To get the most wonderful plants, order from A&D Peonies in Snohomish, WA. I have been to the garden many times and they have helped me identify some that were gifts with no names. Very nice people with VERY nice plants. I went once and they had a very fragrant pink that was mis tagged. The guy wasn't sure what it was, so that fall I went back and got the whole plant for $15! I still don't know what it is, but it smells lovely.
    Thanks for the advice. I found some online, but very pricey. I will send out another request in the fall when everyone is dividing them. It's just one of those plants I have to have in my garden.

  13. #13
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,044
    I got all of my plants at rummage sales, there is a lady who has huge gardens, and has a huge sale every year.

  14. #14
    Super Member julia58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southwest Virginia
    Posts
    1,879
    Blog Entries
    1
    They also have them at Walmart. Went browsing the garden center yesterday.

  15. #15
    Kas
    Kas is offline
    Super Member Kas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    2,050
    Yep. If you buy them in pots, don't plant them into the garden until fall.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.