I went to a seminar yesterday and they told us several ways to prevent or minimize identity fraud.
Here are some of the good ideas:
1. make a copy of all your credit cards or any ID that you carry in your purse or billfold. (both sides).
That way you have the info to report the lost or stolen cards/IDs in a timely manner.
2. Don't put checks in your mailbox and then put the flag up. It signals crooks that there is something in your mailbox and they can get your info that way.
3. don't have new checks mailed to your home mailbox. (Not sure where else you would have them mailed)
4. Don't use a debit/credit card to pay for gas.(scanners at the pump.)
5. Crosscut (shred) or burn all papers.
There were lots more but I found these interesting.