Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Inaccurate Oven Temperature

I second getting an oven thermometer - I think mine cost less than $5, and I found out my oven runs consistently 25 degrees hot. So I turn it down 25 degrees lower than the recipe says, and everything is fine. Now, if you find your oven is not off by any consistent number, or that it's off by a huge margin, then I'd call the repair guy or look into buying a new one. Depends on your budget, I guess.

The Beautiful Willamette Valley In Oregon
    IMHO, there is nothing worse than an unreliable oven. The first thing i did when we purchased this home was to buy an oven thermometer and check the oven, even though it was a recently-purchased stove by the previous owner. Luckily, the oven temperature was exactly right. Had it not been, I would have checked the warranty, but whether in or out of warranty, a repairman would have been called and the oven fixed or the stove replaced, if at all financially feasible.
    Shirley
    "We shall pass this way on Earth but once; if there is any kindness we can show, or good act we can do, let us do it now, for we will never pass this way again." Stephen Grellet

Blog Entries
    I have had 3 second hand electric stoves in 15 years. A new one is not in the budget. With each one I have had to adjust my baking temps and times a bit.

I do have an oven thermometer and my current oven is 25 degrees hot. I adjust the dial to be at the right temp.

I have always rotated what ever was in the oven. Even when we had a convection oven that moved the hot air around.
    Proud Parent of one Dwight Canada Student, my son graduated this year and is studying History and Philosophy at VIU.

http://dwightcanada.org/

It's a far-out possibility but are the oven off-on switch and temperature dial separate? The gauge might have been popped off for cleaning and replaced incorrectly. If gas, the thermocouple may need replaced.....the stove wouldn't know when the desired temp. was achieved and just keep heating.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3