Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Inaccurate Oven Temperature >

Inaccurate Oven Temperature

Inaccurate Oven Temperature

Old 11-23-2012, 05:47 AM

The oven in this house was scary. There is/was a grill below. The flame was huge when running the oven. We replaced the oven. It was the safest approach and satisfactory. I don't think one can regard electrical/gas as safe in the house, something you can dicker with.

Last edited by mcar; 11-23-2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:23 AM

I would replace that appliance if at all possible. It's already at least 20 years old, probably not worth investing in a service call.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GrandmaNewt View Post
You can get a oven thermometer to check and see how off you are, they are cheap under $10. If you aren't too far off then you can easily adjust your temps when turning on the oven.
This is what we always did.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:16 AM

I think its very simple as oven is cooking very early because of an high temprature. So, you need to set a temprature lower than the normal required time. As this is the only way you can get your food cookwell and avoid from burning it.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:28 AM

This would make me very nervous about cooking poultry and other salmonella hazards. I'd either get it fixed or replace it.

This website is pretty helpful when it comes to DIY diagnosing and repairing appliances.

http://www.repairclinic.com/
Old 11-23-2012, 10:42 AM

Try lowering the oven temp. by 25 degrees and baking something. If it cooks too fast still, lower the temp some more, maybe 10 degrees at a time. Good luck.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:15 PM

I am surprised that so many of us have to make do with such an important piece of equipment. I think that the workman was wrong in what he said about some stoves just being that way and there was nothing that could be done about it. Wrong! Something could be done but he would not do it. Whether out of laziness or something else, I don't know. I had my oven off 75 degrees. The first workman said he could not do anything, but I called the Sears folks again and they sent someone who actually figured out the problem. They didn't like sending someone out for such a "minor problem," but it wasn't "minor" to me. This is just another example of incompetent workmen working on inferior but highly priced equipment that seems to be forced on us more and more. What ever happened to quality products that worked? Maybe we should start a movement to demand good equipment and workmen/women who know what the heck they are doing.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:24 PM

Sometimes I wonder if it really is engineered obsolescence or just lazy repair work.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:15 PM

Last year at Thanksgiving my cheesecake did not set and I had to trash it. Not sure what the problem was, since I have made the same recipe for 50 yrs. So this year, thinking it could be my oven temperature was off, I bought an oven thermometer. I found out that instead of pre-heating in 10 minutes, it took 12 and sometimes my temp was lower than I had dialed for. I used the thermometer to adjust for other things I cooked for Thanksgiving. Since it is a gas stove, I will not attempt any calibration on my own, but since I don't use it that much, will probably put off calling in a repairman for now.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:05 PM

When we moved into our place 5 years ago, I ruined some dinner and baked goods until I invested in an oven thermometer. Turns our my oven is 50 degrees hotter than the dial says. Now I adjust for that and keep the oven thermometer in place to double check. All has been fine since.
Yes, it's electric, too.