Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Inexpensive way to clean a leather jacket? >

Inexpensive way to clean a leather jacket?

Inexpensive way to clean a leather jacket?

Old 05-13-2011, 07:16 AM

My DH was given a nice used leather jacket. Unfortunately, it wreaks of cigarette smoke.

I've called the dry cleaners and they charge $40 + tax for leather cleaning.

Does anybody know of a less expensive way to clean a leather jacket? Are there kits out there or something?
Old 05-13-2011, 07:21 AM

Most of the odor is probably in the lining. I think the easiest and first thing to do would be to simply hang it outside in the shade for a few hours, then turn it inside out and put it on a padded hanger for another few hours. Then if you can still smell smoke, spray it with Fabrez.

I'm sure that others here will have more suggestions.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

I would just air it outside for a long time. I like the idea of turning it inside out also. It may take days to get rid of all of the smell.

Another option is to place the jacket in a plastic bag along with a couple of pairs of Odoreaters brand shoe inserts (the ones with charcoal) and seal the bag for a couple of weeks. Charcoal absorbs odor. Check on Amazon for other charcoal options. I like the shoe inserts because there is no chance of the charcoal spilling and they can be used in shoes afterwards! (I used these insoles to get rid of the musty smell in a featherweight case.)
Old 05-13-2011, 07:28 AM

I can't recommend spending the $40 for the cleaners to possibly ruin it. I had a nice leather backpack that got a beer soaked bottom at a Jummy Buffett concert thanks to the idiots behind us. I didn't even know until I picked up my bag to leave :-(

The cleaners sent it back to me looking actually worse so I just wasted that money too.

Since it is "just" smoke I would try airing well, maybe some bounce sheets in pockets too. DH got a jacket from a friend that smoked and he hung it out in the shade for several days and it no longer smelled of smoke. Not sure I would want to use Febreeze or anything wet even on the lining due to spotting.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:01 AM

Do NOT put leather in sealed plastic. It will rot or mold, as leather is never completely dry.

Lay the jacket flat, sprinkle Baking Soda on it, inside arms, etc. Let it set for a few days. Then shake or vacuum it off. Baking Soda absorbs odors & will not stain. Using a spray or any liquid on the lining may cause spotting or stains.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:04 AM

air