Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilted sweatshirt jacket experiment (pictures added of jacket and totes 7-28-08) >

quilted sweatshirt jacket experiment (pictures added of jacket and totes 7-28-08)

quilted sweatshirt jacket experiment (pictures added of jacket and totes 7-28-08)

Old 07-26-2008, 08:10 PM

Well-----------------I made a really big project for myself to test out the size and fit of a sweatshirt base for a quilted jacket.

First I took apart a lower end shirt, worn and laundered umteen times, and discovered the sections (front, back and two sleeves) were every which size. I quickly put the parts in the rag bag.

Second I took a nice heavy weight shirt from the same brand name manufacturer and carefully unsewed the seams and removed the ribbing. This shirt was very well made and had a stabilized yoke at the back neckline and stabilized "v" at the center front. Success prevailed as all of my pieces matched nicely.

I think the differences amounted to the new heavier weight fabric and better construction techniques. I also stay stitched the neckline and center front prior to removing the ribbing. Immediately after removing the ribbing and the shoulder and side seams, I stay stiched the shoulder, armseye, side seam and bottom.

I used a few yards of tiedye fabric which I had on hand. This was washed and ironed in preparation for my experiment.

Now, I used spray basting outside to join the pieces in the sandwich fashion. Out came the blue painter's masking tape and the varigated thread....I cross hatched the entire set of pieces. I wasn't sure I would have enough varigated thread so I used light gray on the bobbin and that worked nicely.

My original plan was to stipple these surfaces, but I am learning and just couldn't see myself practicing on such large pieces. I am not petite or small boned, if you get my drift. :lol:

I cut the front down the center front after I had finished the cross hatching and the garment went together very quickly. Shoulder seams,
including more stabilizing stitching, attaching the sleeves to the armseye, and finally the long wrist to bottom hem sleeve-body seam.

I made bias binding out of 2.25 inch wide strips of the same fabric and attached it to the outer exposed edges (bottom, center fronts and neckline. I haven't decided how I will finish off the cuff as yet. I could
trim to length or leave them rolled up. In any case, I will bind them with the bias binding.

The jacket feels good and I have the pleasure of doing some handwork on the binding. that's a treat for me and seems to be the frosting on the cake.

What did I learn???
How to use spray basting, how the sandwich feels with the three layers, how if fits, how to stay stitch the garment in preparation for taking the garment apart, how warm a jacket would be, etc.
Perhaps the best thing is that I thoroughly enjoyed sewing in my sewing area and let the housework keep for another day!!!!!!!
I did my research on line and got loads of tips from members of this board. I thank you :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Do any of you go to such extremes when making a garment for yourself?

I want to make more jackets: vertical strips of various lengths will be my next project.

Have you ever used something other than the sweatshirt as the base?

Did you line the inside of your jacket?

I've completed one silly project and now I have different questions :!:

Well, thanks for letting me ramble. I was a good to sew in a sunny, air conditioned room and just have fun. Hope your days are just as enjoyable as the one I had.

Piecefully yours,
Kay Susan

[img][/img]
Old 07-26-2008, 10:45 PM

Hi Kay, I have never made one of those jackets. It is on my list of future projects though. Thanks for sharing your experience and helpful tips. Do you have a photo to share?
Old 07-27-2008, 12:06 AM

Kay, that sounds like a wonderful project. I admire your fortitude! It sounds lovely. Let us see a picture!
Old 07-27-2008, 03:09 AM

I have made a sweetshit jacket once. I used a pattern for it though,so it didn't seem so big of a project like yours. I did line it and quilted it with stippling that was kinda small so it made the jacket sort of stiff but the lady I gave it to just loved it. It was a red hat lady panel that I used.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:19 AM

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement Cecila, CindyBee, Loretta and Donna.

After I posted last night I thought I should have just put my thoughts in a journal!!!

I'm a home economist by training, but it's been years since I taught sewing and tailoring as I've spent most my years in business situations.

I just hate to mess up something as large as the jacket project.

Now, I will concentrate on my pictures. My sewing room is so lovely that I am still pinching myself. It is real :D :D :D
Old 07-27-2008, 05:27 AM

I took a serger class years ago, & the lady showed us how to make a t-shirt/sweat shirt. It is in how you fold your material & cut. (all rotary cut) If any one is interested I would be glad to share the pattern/cutting directions w/ you.
I have made jackets-long sleeve as well as short sleeve t-shirts with it. The jackets are all zip up the front & I even got adventurous and put hoods on them. I have made my jackets out of fleece as well as cordaroy(sp). Also light weight cottons.
I have not made them out of quilt sqs, but don't see why it wouldn't work. There is NO stay stitching involved & it all goes together like a dream. Also, there are no "set in" sleeves.
Thanks for your time.
Billie
Old 07-27-2008, 05:37 AM

Do you have to have a serger for this and can you use knit fabric, sounds interesting. Do you have any pictures of the thing you made :D
Old 07-27-2008, 05:42 AM

Kay, it sounds fantastic - I can't wait to see a picture!!
Old 07-27-2008, 05:53 AM

Bravo, Kay. I have a "I can't believe it's a sweatshirt" pattern that has been sitting in my drawer for about three years -- one of those "someday" projects. I am inspired by you to dig it out and tackle it. I hope to see a picture of your jacket. It sounds lovely.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Ruth Camp
Do you have to have a serger for this and can you use knit fabric, sounds interesting. Do you have any pictures of the thing you made :D
No a serger is not required. But it helps to stabilize the seams. When my serger has been in the shop, I have the jackets as well as shirts, on the sewing machine. Fleece is WONDERFUL to sew into jackets. 2 way stretch or 1 way stretch you have to be really careful w/ the stretch that you don't stretch it as you sew. Sometimes I sew that little bitty really narrow twill tape to the shoulder seams so they don't stretch as I sew.
Like I said a really easy "no pattern" pattern.
I haven't got any pictures to show you, as I really don't know how to get them from my camera to the computor & dh is pretty well confined to his lift/recliner chair. I"ll try & see what I can come up with.
I made myself a jacket out of BRIGHT orange fleece & dh a jacket out of an orange camo-fleece. We wear them when we go hunting.
Billie