Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Interfacing For Handbags

Has anybody used Peltex for interfacing handbags, and if so, can you then quilt over it? I have used the Pellon 987 fusible, but never the Peltex. I think it is something like Timtex, which I have never used. I am just thinking of trying a different interfacing, and wondered about these products.

I've just used whatever I happen to have on hand, much of which came from someone's stash who went into a nursing home, so I have no idea what brand it is.
    Most of what I have is not fusible either.

Peltex is going to be very, very stiff. Your bag would have almost hard sides so you wouldn't be able to make one that had a soft drape.

I've used the peltex. Sometimes I dont want a bag to "drape" and need a sturdier shape and the peltex gives me that. I've had no problem quilting through it. Also I have backed the fabric with 987 and then backed the 987 with the peltex. This gives the bag a softer feel on the outside and the firm foundation I like, best of both worlds for me.

I use décor-bond on all my bags. I fuse both the outer & lining fabrics. Washs great & wears very well at the corners. I don't need anything stiffer than that.

I'm going to make a carry case for my 222 and am considering using two layers of Peltex like substrate. That should give it enough strength and body.

I do the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by everbtrue
    I use décor-bond on all my bags. I fuse both the outer & lining fabrics. Washs great & wears very well at the corners. I don't need anything stiffer than that.

I use Thermo-lam for the body of the bag, and Peltex for the bottom. For me, the Thermo-lam offers quite a bit of support, but is still cushy. The bag in my avatar is standing on its own, empty.