Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Just curious

I was just wondering how many people here are first generation to sewing. I am. My mom didn't sew more than to hand mend anything. I'm not to sure if my grandmother did or didn't because by time I was old enough to know her much she was developing dementia. I don't remember my step-grandmother sewing and my paternal grandmother I didn't grow up around.
    I actually can't remember how I started sewing, but im pretty sure it wasn't just home ec. I do know i'm glad I did take it up. I enjoy it.

Blog Entries
    2nd generation here. My Late Mom taught herself and she could sew anything fabulously!!!

2nd generation here too... My Mom did enjoy other crafts more than sewing though; preferred crocheting and knitting.

My grandmothers were both crafty but it skipped a generation with my parents.

I guess I'm first generation? Or maybe just "reborn". LOL

Blog Entries
    also 2d generation. i was learning to sew before i could read.

I'm not sure if I am actually first generation or not, but I never saw my mother do anything but some knitting. I on the other hand, like all forms of needlework - cross stitch, needlepoint, sewing and quilting.

Blog Entries
    First generation here, all self taught and probably making a ton of mistakes. :mrgreen:

Power Poster
    probably 3rd or 4th

Blog Entries
    Nana did it all. My Mum did none of the sewing, knitting, crocheting, canning, bread making or gardening. Seems in a lot of families to be an "every other generation" thing.

We lived just down the road from Nana. She tried to teach me but other than learn to treadle a straight line I never followed through until Kids came along and only to quilting 3 yrs ago so really I'm self-taught with all of it. As a kid I was more often down in the basement with Grandad hammering and sawing! (Try learning to crochet with the book open on your lap and your fingers getting all gibbled up and cramped from finding what to do with the yarn!)

Blog Entries
    My grandmother and her entire family were tailors and seamstresses. My mom, nothing. So, I guess I'm a 1st generation?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast