Just curious

Old 06-27-2011, 05:54 PM

My Mom and sisters are not sewers; however, I had aunts on both sides of the family that sewed and quilted. My maternal grandmother loved to knit and crochet.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:55 PM

!st one to quilt in my family. My MIL, Bless her heart, taughtme much about sewing.

Also 1st one to nurse my babies. Never knew anyone that sewed or breastfed. I don't know where I came from but 5 out of 6 of us had redhair so I know I belong.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:56 PM
Power Poster

1st generation. My mom did not sew except for the occasional halloween costume. Her mother passed away when she was a little girl. My grandmother and step grandmothers on my dad's side did not sew or quilt that I know of.

I learned to sew in high school and it was love at first stitch. I sewed clothes in high school then didn't sew anything for a very long time until I took up quilting at age 30.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by JulieR
My grandmothers were both crafty but it skipped a generation with my parents.

I guess I'm first generation? Or maybe just "reborn". LOL
Same here lolol
Old 06-27-2011, 05:59 PM

My grandmother and step mother were professional seamstresses. My mom knew how to sew but never did while we were growing up. When she retired she took a few classes in it and did quite well.

On my husband's side of the family his greatgrandfather was a tailor for the U.S. cavalry.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

My mother sewed. Made most of my clothes and lots of quilts.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Nana did it all. My Mum did none of the sewing, knitting, crocheting, canning, bread making or gardening. Seems in a lot of families to be an "every other generation" thing.

We lived just down the road from Nana. She tried to teach me but other than learn to treadle a straight line I never followed through until Kids came along and only to quilting 3 yrs ago so really I'm self-taught with all of it. As a kid I was more often down in the basement with Grandad hammering and sawing! (Try learning to crochet with the book open on your lap and your fingers getting all gibbled up and cramped from finding what to do with the yarn!)
I have to agree that it skips generations! My mom only sewed when she had to, but both of my grandmothers were prolific. Prior to that I don't know. Neither of my daughters take an interest, but I have 5 granddaughters up and coming.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:36 PM

2nd generation. My mom is a professional and taught for yrs. Never could quite get sewing for yrs. Only mended until a few yrs ago. Still learning but I hope I'm getting better. The sewing machine still intimidates me!!
Old 06-27-2011, 06:38 PM

My dad was an excellent tailor also!!!
Old 06-27-2011, 06:41 PM

My mom use to sew once upon a time. I have barbie clothes that she sewed for me, more from necessity than desire I think. However when I was old enough to have interest in sewing she no longer did. My grandma on my mom's side quilted, my grandma on my dad's side embroidered and sewed some I think. However they both passed away before I was again old enough to have interest. I learned some in home ec, some from a friend, and my older sister and I are interested in the domestic arts. The sewing, quilting, knitting, crocheting, cooking, gardening, preserving. It's just who we are, however it happened