Just curious

Old 06-27-2011, 06:50 PM

First generation, yes and no. When I was growing up, we didn't have a sewing machine, though my mom did make a few Barbie outfits for me by hand. She didn't teach me to sew, and I never thought to ask, though I wanted to learn.

But here's the thing: she did know how to sew. When she was a teen, she wanted to be a fashion designer and made many of her own clothes, and they were very nice!

I assume she learned from her mother, though by the time I was born, my grandmother was in a home for the aged. If she ever sewed, she'd stopped by then.

I don't actually sew - yet. It's one of my top goals this summer to finally get a good machine and lessons. More quilting lessons, too.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Power Poster

Mom doesn't have a sewing bone in her body, both grandmas did, one made clothes, other was fabulous quilter....does that make me 2nd henderson, once removed???
Old 06-27-2011, 08:43 PM

3rd generation here. My grandmother is the person who taught me to sew. I would sew it and she was point out mistakes and help me rip it out and do it over, and over, and over. My mom also sews and quilts. She is the queen of crazy quilts. Her love is piecing tiny bits of fabric and doing the fancy hand embroidery. Every time she is in my sewing room she checks my trash can for little bits and pieces saying all the time, " I can't believe your throwing this away," showing me a piece less than an inch square. She's a trip. I try to empty my trash before she shows up. LOL.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Banned

not I...I come from a long line of sewers/crafters..even the men folk...on both sides!
Old 06-27-2011, 09:36 PM

every woman on both sides of my family sewed, knitted , crochet, tatting, ect you name it someone did it. We all garden, veg and flowers,canning My Grandfather came from Denmark and knitted gloves and socks.At the time of WW1 all service men were required to make there own. The Danish military supplyed the yarn and knitting needles.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:59 PM

All the women in my family have sewn forever...my 3rd great-grand-mother made the 1st silk dress made in Utah, she even raised the silkworms! I was 12 when my grandmother purchsed my 1st ready made dress: I wore either ones sewn at home or hand-me-downs from my sisters. I sewed most of my girls' clothes until they hit grade school. Never conquered jeans or shirts for my boys though. My daughters don't sew at all. Two of my 5 sisters sew, one of the two also quilts.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:57 PM

First generation here, also. Mother never sewed. I guess you can say I married into it....In his family, quilting is the thing!
Glad I married into it!
Old 06-28-2011, 02:43 AM

i am of a skipped generation! Grandma sewed(she raised me)..and then i picked it up! i think i was to young to appreciate all she knew..she didn't quilt though.

Originally Posted by valsma
I was just wondering how many people here are first generation to sewing. I am. My mom didn't sew more than to hand mend anything. I'm not to sure if my grandmother did or didn't because by time I was old enough to know her much she was developing dementia. I don't remember my step-grandmother sewing and my paternal grandmother I didn't grow up around.
I actually can't remember how I started sewing, but im pretty sure it wasn't just home ec. I do know i'm glad I did take it up. I enjoy it.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:28 AM
Power Poster

2nd geeration my dads mother made beautiful quilts and i have several of her tops
Old 06-28-2011, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by gaby4v
First generation here, all self taught and probably making a ton of mistakes. :mrgreen:
I'm right there with you!