Just curious

Old 06-28-2011, 08:05 AM

My mom only mended items so I guess you could say I'm first generation. My paternal grandmother sewed when I was a child and I think that is where I got the bug from. My maternal grandmother was never crafty in any way.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:20 AM

A 5th generation. One of my kids has sewn, but not for awhile. The grands don't have time, and neither do the great. Maybe some day.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:28 AM

Multiple generation here.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:30 AM

I thought for sure there would be many more multi generation sewers. Like I said my mom barely picked up a needle & thread to mend anything. She also didn't do any other needle arts or canning or anything that would be classified as home arts except cooking. She taught me and my sister well how to make nutricious home cooked meals. I'm meat and potatoes, sister is more fine dining.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:31 AM

I have a quilt at home that we think is somewhere around 100 years old. I think my grandmothers may have invented quilting! They probably spent a hundred hours or more on a quilt and I feel privileged to have them.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:28 AM

3rd generation here, but taught by my mother. I didn't live close enough to grandparents to spend any time with them. But, both grandmothers were quilters and seamstresses.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:43 AM

I can remember my grandmother quilting and making rugs. I have little memory of my mom but she did make us little tops and shorts when we were small. My aunt told me they were all about giving up on my mom ever learning how to sew. They'd all give her old clothes and she'd try to make us clothes and it was a mess. We lived out in the country and very little money so no one went to the store to buy fabric. Just when they had decided it was a lost cause on my mom they gave her one last outfit that belonged to one of my aunts and surprise. My mom remade it exactly as it was but in a small size for us kids. It's sad that I have very few memories of my mom but it's good because all of the ones I have are like that; great memories. I try to share w/my youngest sister because she has none of her own. Out of 5 girls Im the only one who sews or quilts. I've tried to teach my youngest sister but she just gets frustrated w/it. I think if I lived closer where we could do it more it would help. Anyhow, so we have a few generations; I have one daughter and she has done a few quilts and I have her 5 yr old son fixated w/quilting and he wants to learn real bad.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:55 AM

My mother sewed a little. My grandmother sewed a bit more. My great-grandmother sewed a lot, including all her kids clothes as well as quilts. Don't know about the great-great. Guess I'm at least a fourth generation sewer.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:10 AM

I'm at least 3rd generation. My DGM made quilts and sewed clothes. My DM did alterations and sewed all us kids clothes, plus quilted for years. I never purchased a prom dress or wedding dress. Now I sew, my DD sews and I am teaching DGS how to sew. Craftyness must be in our genes.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:11 PM

My mother sewed and did crafts. I have always done some type of sewing and crafts, sewed a lot for kids when they were little, plus for myself. My daughter does no sewing or crafts, brings me a button to sew on. But granddaughter is very artistic, likes crafts and sewing.