Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Just got back from Paducah quilt show. >

Just got back from Paducah quilt show.

Just got back from Paducah quilt show.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:53 AM

I didn't go this year; the crowds are just too much for me to tolerate. Sewbizgirl, your trip sounds wonderful to me!
Old 04-30-2017, 02:29 PM

Haven't been to the show since 2005. Like going to the show but also love exploring the city and the surrounding area. The memories do not revolve around quilts but the people we met - one that stands out was lunch at an impromptu fundraiser for a small African-American church. They were set up in a vacant lot a few blocks away from the show and a half of chicken drenched in barbecue sauce with a slice of white bread was $5. It was delicious. The people were the best part of the experience, warm, friendly and knowledgeable about the area. We actually found best deals on fabric and quilts outside of Paducah and we loved exploring the countryside and finding hidden treasures.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:49 AM

Even though all the quilts are not my style, I still loved looking at them and admiring everyone's creativity and beautiful workmanship. Took a couple of great classes. Nancy Mahoney is a great teacher and loved her class. Met a lot of wonderful quilters (loved the tour group from Australia that stayed at our hotel - it was so interesting talking with them). I think you get out of the show what you expect. If you expect to be disappointed by the vendors, the quilts, the crowds then you probably will be. If you expect to have a great time no matter what, you will. I will say I don't think it was as crowded as the last time I went a few years ago. Perhaps because there are so many shows all over the country now. After talking to the Australian ladies, I want to go to the show in Sidney so I'd better start saving my pennies!
Old 05-01-2017, 06:35 PM

I haven't gone to the Paducah show in a few years. I impulsively booked a motel for the Fall Paducah show. Hopefully it won't be as crowded as the Spring show. Personally, I think there are way too many AQS shows now. I wonder if this is why there aren't as many quilts. It's still fun to go and be inspired though.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:59 PM

Pease forgive my ignorance, I preempt, is this show what is considered Quilt Market when vendors & designers show off their new stuff?
Old 05-10-2017, 04:57 AM
Power Poster

No it's not a Quilt Market show. Quilt Markets aren't open to the general public.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:41 AM

My friends and I live about an hour away from Paducah and go every year at least one day. All mentioned this year's attendance seemed down a bit. Not such a crushing crowd as usual. Also most of our favorite vendors said they had other venues for fall and would not be in Paducah---bummer!! So will have to be making choice about going in the fall even tho I live so close.