Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Just got back from Paducah quilt show. >

Just got back from Paducah quilt show.

Just got back from Paducah quilt show.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

Default Just got back from Paducah quilt show.

The show was super nice but there didn't seem to be as many quilts entered as it use to be. I didn't like the fact some categories were at separate venues. I'm sure many show goers didn't see all of them. The top winning quilts were almost perfect but not my choices at all. LOL Usually you can tell by the who the judges are which quilts will be considered for Best of Show and the quilt that won fit right in with their work. Most of the quilts were pictorial and sampler quilts this year. Lots of embellishments. To me the crystals and beads do not add anything to a quilt to make it better. But the judges seem to love it. The vendors were wonderful and plenty. My favorite is to watch the demonstration of the tools and techniques. Other then a bad motel room the quilt show was fun and very inspiring.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

Glad you atleast had a good time. Some motels can be a downer. My girlfriend went to a quilt show and left her sewing machine in her hotel room. It was gone when she got back but she put a gps on it and had a game cam in her room. She called the police and had the hotel manager arrested. She got her machine back but never again will she leave it in her motel room. It was her mother's featherweight. Very close call. She locks it in her car and puts a black floor mat on top.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:06 AM

I've never been to the show at Paducah, but I have been when not show time. Did you get to go to Hancocks? That to me would be worth the drive. I agree, I don't get into all the art quilts. I'm a simple quilter with simple tastes.

What a smart gal to put a game cam in her room. I've never had anything stolen but have always wondered what happens when I'm gone.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

I did go to Hancocks but didn't buy anything. I can buy fabric anytime and the prices weren't any less during quilt show week. Too many vendors selling other items that the local shops don't have. I loved Eleanor Burns warehouse and her show was so much fun. Her fabric sales were great, 40% off jelly rolls and layer cakes in big carts. The outside food vendor at the Rotary Club's Antique Quilt show was delicious. The quilt museum exhibits and demos were great.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:44 PM

I just got back from Paducah this afternoon. This was my fifth year and to tell the truth, I was a little disappointed. There were a number of vendors not there - the whole thing seemed to have less energy than in prior years. I think that since they are planning to do both a spring and a fall show, that some of the vendors opted out. The show quilts were, as always, amazing. Not always to my taste, but the workmanship is outstanding. I came away thinking that I would skip next year. I will say that if this was your first year, you probably found it outstanding - so it's my jaded view that is getting in the way this year. The National Quilt Museum is always a treat, and this year the challenge block was the flying geese - awesome quilts. I didn't buy as much as usual (never much in the show - no bargains to be had there) but I did not have people with me that were buying fabric, so the "gang mentality" wasn't there and I was quite constrained. I do love that show, and it is easy for me to get to - so a little break and I'm sure I'll be back.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

I missed it! I went the wrong week! I was there last week and didn't find out til I checked in to my hotel that the show was one week later than I thought. I had gotten the dates off the internet and made reservations a YEAR in advance... so I was in shock!

Making the best of it, the town was very quiet and I got to shop at Hancocks while it was practically empty. They had tons and tons of $4.99 fabric, plus clearanced fabric all through the store. Batik mill ends for 6.99... some beautiful pieces! My only gripe was that they closed so early when it was not show week... 3pm on Saturdays!!! I didn't get to spend as much time there as I wanted, but I would have gotten in big financial trouble if I had.

Didn't get to shop Eleanor Burns' Firehouse store (wasn't open yet) but I did shop at her Quilt In A Day store. All fabric was $6 (batiks a little more) and I found a couple of lovely pieces I can use for charity quilts, for $2.50 a yard on clearance!

The quilt museum was so outstanding. My only regret was that they don't let you take photos. So I stayed long and stared at every quilt, trying to remember them more. I was actually feeling 'quilt saturation' after that, so I don't know how I would have handled a whole show. I was kind of sad to miss AQS book sale at Finkel's, but in the Quilt Museum's shop I found four bins of $5 books! I got a few great books, including Bonnie Hunter's More Adventures with Leaders and Enders, plus a couple of other great titles.

I got to eat at Kirchener's a couple of times, no line. And went home with a couple loaves of their cranberry walnut bread (to die for!). During the show it's often sold out. And I had time to go to The Yoga Room and take an awesome and very strenous yoga class from Suzi. She's amazing. Also toured the Coke Plant just across from Suzi's road, and had delicious coffee in a coffee shop in the plant.

I did miss the vendors, tho! They are usually expensive but I wanted to look for some patterns for embroidery quilts. Oh well... I have enough to keep me busy til the next show.

I wish you show-goers would post some photos of the show, please!

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 04-29-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:53 AM

Sewbizgirl- sounds like you had fun minus the crowds and bustle of show weekend! Sometimes it's better going to places when things are "normal".........I've gone to Paducah - just to go - and had a good time and found treasures that I probably would not have found when town is bustling......
Old 04-30-2017, 06:41 AM

Loved reading all your reviews of Paducah. I love going but I bypassed it this year. I always spend more $$ than I want to spend but then I always come home with gorgeous fabric too.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

It's so easy to spend too much there... even when there's not a show!
Old 04-30-2017, 07:02 AM

It did seem to be a little lower key this year but I loved it anyway. We go Mon-Thur & come home on Fri so we can get the Hancock's-Rotary-Finkle Bldg-Kirschner's-Market Street things done early before too much of the crowd arrives. Didn't bother w/EB. Went to the museum to see George & Va Siciliano in the lobby & visit the museum gift shop. I like doing George's miniatures. Got a pattern but bought fabric elsewhere. Aside from an accident that took out electricity at our hotel in Metropolis for a few hours & the pouring rain on Tues nite, we had a great time & we all saw everything we wanted to see & do. Have already registered at the hotel for next year's show. This was our 10th year & am already looking forward to the 2018 show. Prob will not do the fall show. Now, to get all my fabric sewed up . .