Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Just never thought about it until........ >

Just never thought about it until........

Just never thought about it until........

Old 11-07-2016, 09:23 AM

Default Just never thought about it until........

I'm sure this is nothing new to most of you, but it sort of stopped me in my tracks last nite. Saturday morning went to a new bakery in town to sample the goodies. Paid with my debit card, got a hard copy receipt and off I went....not too impressed with purchase, but not the point here. So last nite, checking my email...there was a "survey" from this business asking about product, service, etc. I filled it out, and submitted, then realized I had not given them my email addy. Now my mind is on a tangent....apparently it was obtained from the bank that this card is drawn from and it has my addy....so does that mean all these years I have used this card any of the businesses can/have gone to the money source, although I have never rec'd any emails from any place that I have not authorized to have it. I was going to call this bakery this morning, but they are closed today..so tomorrow I will hopefully get an answer to this. Has this happened to you? Oh, I know big brother knows more about me than I do, but it was a creepy feeling.......
Old 11-07-2016, 09:47 AM

Nowadays you don't know anymore who has what and how did they get it, nor were it will end up with. It's frustrating, dangerous and aggravating.

Technology isn't bad, but it has a downside to it too.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

it sure is a creepy feeling. Never had that happen, that i know of.You never know. It's scary how big brother does things. Some people think it's harmless, because all their clocks were turned back for them. In an e-mail, I mentioned to a friend about yogurt shakes for my diet. Now i get messages on blenders, yogurt and diets. My e mail address is after my deceased cats nickname. It starts out with mr. Now big brother thinks I'm a male, and I'm constantly bombarded with male enhancement products. Crazy. Let us know what happens
Old 11-07-2016, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

Even before all the electronics, there were ways to obtain information that we were/are unaware of.

What is even more scary than actual information being around about one, is that "information" that is incorrect or fabricated can be circulated.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:39 AM

Call your bank to get your question answered. I have a debit card, but rarely use it. Why? If the atm card number and pin are plucked from the air via an illegal card reader a hacker is carrying around, and your account is emptied, you are legally out of luck. Bank MIGHT or MIGHT NOT give you your stolen money back. Check your account immediately.

The illegal card readers are a big problem. They are used to steal info from CCs as well, and my DH and I have had our CC company replace our cards 3 times in the last year. Two of them were done by the CC company, one was initiated by us.

Be careful out there!
Old 11-07-2016, 12:37 PM

Banks are required to send out a privacy notice that discloses how they might share your contact information. They're also required to allow you to opt out of sharing. Contact your bank.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

STOP WORRYING. A lot of small businesses use "Square Reader" service to process your credit/debit card transactions. I use it at craft fairs... Did you have to "finger sign" on a tablet to complete the purchase? If so, it was Square they swiped you through, and you got the email survey because your bank the card is drawn on has your email encrypted into it. Not uncommon at all. If you don't want to do the survey, just don't do it. Square isn't going to rip you off. They rely on secure transactions to stay alive, as a business. Just like Paypal. Relax.

Square is a really cool little service for people who do transactions once in a while, and I've even seen small stores using it. They provide a free card reader and for a small percentage will transfer the funds directly into you acct.

If you have more questions about it, pm me and I'd be happy to talk to you about it.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:47 PM

I would contact your bank and ask them about this. Banks (as quiltsRfun stated) have to provide you with disclosures regarding non-public personal information (NPI) and disclosure to a third party and provide you with Opt-Out information. NPI is considered to be any data or information considered to be personal and not subject to public availabilty, which an email address would be. I would also contact the bakery and ask them how they got your address; it may be that your card/email are conected through some type of rewards program at another retailer. I work for a bank in the compliance department and I would be making calls to both to get an answer.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

I was up on the mountains in Colorado and stopped to eat. paid with credit card and did not give email but later received receipt. hate that. wasn't asked. took me a minute to think how they did that. the credit card company has my email of course! and yes, big brother knows everything.
Bank told me the debit card can't be hacked in way to empty my account. now if i lost my paper checks, that is another matter. no wonder checks are on their way out. I still use them a bit for bills.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

It's not the bank. Any person with a credit card reader knows your email address. It's automatic now for most business to have your info put in their system as soon as the transaction is completed. Every vendor at quilt shows that took my credit card had my email address listed automatically. Email is now the new phone number. If you ever posted online, have email, or shopped online, you are in the system. Nothing you can do about it unless you go totally off the grid.