Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Kitchen Reno dilema - opinions please? >

Kitchen Reno dilema - opinions please?

Kitchen Reno dilema - opinions please?

Old 02-25-2017, 03:21 PM

Default Kitchen Reno dilema - opinions please?

Here's the basic info to start:

We're planning to renovate our kitchen, including removing some wall areas, re-facing some cupboards and getting some new ones to match. We're also replacing the countertop, flooring and possibly the stove.

Our current cupboards are pine, over 20+ years old and desperately need some care and updating.

Issue #1:
I want cupboards with a "cleaner " finish, one without a lot of ledges that collect dust and dirt. I'd be happy with wood, but not with grooves or ledges. DH wants a more traditional door style, but they all come with those pesky ledges and grooves. He also insists on wood. We haven't been able to find a common ground here, so I'm open to any suggestions someone has... DH didn't see the humour in my response when he said what he wants, that he could have that door style if he dusts them weekly. ( He doesn't do any housework)

Issue #2:
I want a garbage can (with a lid of some sort) in an open area of the kitchen, not under a counter, hidden behind a door. My reason for this is that our current kitchen has the garbage hidden under the kitchen sink, and that door is the most damaged one in the kitchen, because both of us touch the door with wet hands when going for the garbage, - I know we won't be able to change this habit, so I'm looking to preserve the investment in new cupboards by limiting touching them with wet hands. DH insists that the kitchen will not have a garbage can out in the open.
Suggestions anyone????

We take forever to get any plans for any home renovation agreed to, and while we don't argue, we just put off the project when we reach a road block between us. I'd like to get this kitchen stuff sorted out so we can actually use the kitchen in our lifetime..... so please, sound off with any ideas that may provide a solution.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:34 PM

you two sound like we to do as soon as i have a little more into the kitchen savings acct i set up a few years ago, my hubs & i will be going thru this same issue. so ..i'll be following this thread & see what comes up when the discussion enters into the realm of flooring, lighting, wall color & counter tops. my guy also like your guy in that cleaning/helping to clean never even enters his mind. and after all these years i know better than to ask him to clean anything.
so ...
...i agree with you on the cupboards. i've been looking at shaker style. no grooves, ledges or handles to clean around
...i agree with you on garbage can. i had a tall thin step open lid in last house, after redo, i'll have room in this house

ok ..next decision?
Old 02-25-2017, 03:36 PM

I can't help you with the cupboards. When I remodeled my kitchen I kept my traditional cupboards and just had them refinished. I like the look of the traditional cupboards with the moldings. Mine don't take much dusting and the look of them is worth it to me.

I have a trash compactor in my kitchen. Best. Thing. Ever. We only have to take the trash out once every 10 days or so and since it had a foot pedal, you never have to touch it. One thing you might want to keep in mind, if you get good wood cupboards and have them finished with a good varnish (my painted used wood floor varnish when he refinished mine), we hands will not damage them. If you have plywood or any kind of pressed wood, it will. Real wood is much prettier and worth the investmine IMHO

One thing to think of if you are considering cupboards with no handles is that you tend to scratch the wood in the opening and closing of them. The last house we had had those. I liked them at first but soon decided there was a reason the doors had handles on them. Its a lot easier on the wood.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 02-25-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:40 PM

I, too wanted sleek and no grooves when we redid our kitchen, I got several grooves. Oh well, at least it was new cabinets. As far as the garbage can, we had two small dogs that liked to turn the garbage over and go "shopping". To stop this, we made a pull out cabinet that holds a 32 qt garbage can. (think standard size) I love it. One problem is that no one can tell where my garbage is. I have to pull it out and show them. If you can have a walk-in pantry, you can put a garbage can in there to keep it out of sight.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:50 PM
Power Poster

Just keep reminding yourself, that the pain and agony you go through now,
will be well worth it when you have the end results totally to your desires!

Cabinetry ... there are some door styles with ridges going the length, rather than the picture frame style with lots of dirt catching nooks and crannies! Perhaps that would be a good meet in the middle style for the two of you? Drop by some other kitchen places, even ones you don't expect to be dealing with, and put the question to them, and see what they suggest. Also, your kitchen designer should be able to help with suggestions. It won't be the first time they have had this requirement laid out for them, I am sure!

Garbage ... don't forget to plan for recycle, compost and how many other "sorts" there are to garbage in your municipality. When I re-did my kitchen at my old house, I created a drawer with three bins in it .... garbage, recycle and paper. I liked it so much, that when I moved to my current home, I converted a kitchen cupboard into a pull out drawer with the three bins. Works fine for me. Unfortunately, my only option for compost at this time is an old covered juice pitcher that sits in the corner of the 2nd sink. It works .... but I would prefer to have it hidden more so.

One friend put a hole in her kitchen counter to be able to drop garbage into the trash bin, sitting on a pull out. Good idea, but IMHO I hated it ... a cleaning nightmare, as you had that hole to clean as well as stuff that seemed to miss the garbage can below.

Putting your garbage separate from your cabinetry is an option as you have suggested. Many kitchens, there just is not the space to do that though. With a re-design, maybe you can make it work. Or perhaps a whole garbage centre built into or against the end of the cupboards.

One thing to think about in separating the garbage location ... convenience!
To me, I would sooner have it right where I am working, and creating the most garbage and not having to take it to a bin. Less movement, means less dropping of stuff between creation and disposal .... and less clean up for me!

I'm envious of you and your new kitchen. I want one so badly, but it is not in the cards for now.
Have fun planning ... taking your time now will mean no regrets after the fact!

Good Luck!
Old 02-25-2017, 06:49 PM

We remodeled our kitchen last year (after 16 years of living with ugly particleboard and faux butcher block countertops). I had years and years to discover what worked and what I'd change.

I can tell you that choosing cabinet styles was the most time consuming part because my hubby and I had a slightly different vision. Like you, I didn't want grooves and moldings that got dusty, nor did I think modern, flat-faced cabinets fit the style of our home. On top of that, we don't plan to be here more than a couple more years, so we weren't going to make upgrades like putting on glazes and such. We both love cherry wood, so that was a given, and we searched till we found a stain we both love. We also found a door style that has only one overlay. Easy to clean.

Trying to redo your old cabinets could be a bigger problem than replacing them. I've seen some done well, and I've seen some really tacky ones. Since cabinets are the focal point of the kitchen, I say replace them all.

As for the hidden trash that the dog couldn't get to, it was among the top 3 things I HAD to have in my kitchen. (Roll out pantry shelves and more drawers throughout were the other two.) I wanted the trash where I could open a pull-out cabinet and simply swoosh and drop trash into it as I cooked or cleaned. BEST DECISION ever. Ours actually has 2 bins--one for trash, the other for recycling. (Our state has streamlined recycling, so I don't even have to sort it.) It's not sexy to think that the hidden trash is about my favorite thing, but I smile inside every time I pull it out.

My dog thinks it was the biggest disappointment.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:11 PM

don't know if it's in your budget, but a friend just built a new house last year and used deep drawers for under counters in most spaces instead of doors/shelves. Just much easier to get to items. I was so envious that we splurged on roll out shelving since could not afford a whole cabinet re-do--but even those are a great investment cause now I can actually use items underneath. We have a pantry where the trash can goes, but another friend re-did a kitchen and they installed a trash compacter and love it. I'd go with that if you can swing it both $ & space-wise. if you don't live on a dirt road like I do, and aren't as messy as I am!, many newer houses are also using glass front on some of the upper cabinets to show off china, etc.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:47 PM
Power Poster

We gutted the kitchen in the house we are in now before we moved in. It is the IKEA kitchen of my dreams. Big drawers for dishes and pots. I went with the smooth cabinet fronts. For the garbage I have a big pull out under the sink with two cans - one for trash and one for recycling. This has a motor or something because I just tap it with my knee and it opens - has cut way down on messy floor. I can easily reach in from the sides to clean it. I'm sure there are similar options available or the motor can probably be ordered from IKEA and used for any under sink slide out. I also got an Insinkerator instant hot water - it is a mini hot water heater. I use it all the time. And insinkerator makes a garbage disposer button that is right near the faucet - well close enough. No need for a wall switch. Not expensive. Lucky me Mr Stitchnripper didn't care what I picked and he is happy with the outcome. Have fun with it.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
many newer houses are also using glass front on some of the upper cabinets to show off china, etc.
I've always liked the concept of glass front cabinets, but I usually don't like them in reality. Most everyday use dishes that I see in people's houses aren't really that scenic. I have a ton of china and dishes and they would look okay, but I have plate protectors between the plates so they don't get scratched when stacked in the cupboards which tend to be less than pretty. lol

I put my display china pieces in a china cabinet in the dining room where they can look pretty.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:20 AM

When I redid my kitchen, my DH stayed out of it and let me have what I want. I'm the cook, he just eats so he left kitchen up to me to plan and decide. He has a plaque 'happy wife * happy life'