Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: laundromat prices have gone up!

Today I took 6 quilts and 4 comforters to the laundromat. It cost me almost $30 to wash and partially dry them. Wow! Some of the washing machines cost 21 quarters, others were 17 and 12. That's just crazy! My dryer has been running ever since I got home to dry them more. Plus I have them all over the house laying over chairs and on railings. The things I go through when my sisters are coming to visit!

Blog Entries
    Yuk!

Blog Entries
    wow, that is expensive

Blog Entries
    Wow! That must be those huge washer and dryers ! I hope u were able to wash more than 1 @ a time!!

Is line drying an option? I think my grandma dried all of the quilts and sheets on the line. Are you concerned about fading?

Yup, I had to find out the hard way...my dryer broke, so I've been going to the laundry to dry things for the past 2 months.

I remember when a dryer would cost 10cents...now they are $1.50!

I usually dry for one cycle and then bring stuff home and hang it up to finish drying.

$1.50? That's pretty good. Last time I had to use them, and Thank God it was several years ago, it was $2.00, and that was for the cheap place, not the nice place.

When I was a teenager I would let my laundry pile up until my mother wouldn't let me use the washer and dryer to wash all day. I would call my best friend and we would spend the day at the laundromat doing our laundry. Weeks later we would do it all over again. I took a roll of quarters and a roll of dimes and that did 10 washloads.

In Poland, where I live, most people here just hang their clothes to dry. They use something like a clothes horse for inside their apartments--as the avg. apt. is about 500 square feet.

Most people here don't own dryers. I think they usually just hang big things outside to dry.

Where the deer & antilope play and the eagles soar
    I agree with flour sack mama about the line drying. If that is possible for you to do. I live out of town and my closest neighbor is 3/4 mile away from us. I asked DH to put up a clothes line for me out back and he did it yesterday. Now I line dry the clothes til they are just a little damp. Then finish them in the dryer long enough to get the stiffness and wrinkles out. A friend of mine told me her daughter started doing this and her electric bill dropped $55 the 1st month. I hope mine drops too. It's been pretty high lately. crafty_linda_b

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast