Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
laundromat prices have gone up! >

laundromat prices have gone up!

laundromat prices have gone up!

Old 07-10-2011, 03:38 AM

Sheets are the only thing I dry 100% in the dryer. Everything else, I take out of dryer when still pretty damp & hang them on hanger on on the 4 clothes lines I have over my washer & dryer. I do almost no ironing when I do it this way & only use a tiny bit of fabric softener in the winter.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:05 AM
Power Poster

holy cow, that's a lot of money
Old 07-10-2011, 04:59 AM

We took a sleeping bag to the laundry a few months ago and it was $12 to get it done. Now this was leaving it and letting them do it, but still way more than expected.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Flour Sack Mama
Is line drying an option? I think my grandma dried all of the quilts and sheets on the line. Are you concerned about fading?
I dried all my clothes on the outdoor clothesline at my old house - well, in the spring, summer and fall! Now I live in the woods. I tried a clothesline at first but got too much crap falling from the trees and bird poop.
I was able to put 3 quilts in one of the largest washers and 2 comforters in another. Not much would fit in the smallest (cheapest) washers. The dryers were 50 cents for 10 minutes. I ran them all for at least 20 if not 30 minutes. Boy, a couple of those dryers ran really hot, even on medium!
My son and daughter living in Korea do not have a dryer. They have a nice sturdy rack to dry everything on. We Americans are so spoiled! But I like it!
Old 07-10-2011, 06:15 AM

Wow, it's been a long time since I used a laundromat. I had no idea it had gotten so expensive!
Old 07-10-2011, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

That is terrible
Old 07-10-2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by crafty_linda_b
I agree with flour sack mama about the line drying. If that is possible for you to do. I live out of town and my closest neighbor is 3/4 mile away from us. I asked DH to put up a clothes line for me out back and he did it yesterday. Now I line dry the clothes til they are just a little damp. Then finish them in the dryer long enough to get the stiffness and wrinkles out. A friend of mine told me her daughter started doing this and her electric bill dropped $55 the 1st month. I hope mine drops too. It's been pretty high lately. crafty_linda_b
Yup my last electric bill was $34...and it's usually $80...so I saved almost $50 off my bill by drying my clothes at the landry mat...I went there 4 times during the month and spent about $4 each time, so that's still a good savings and all my drying is done in 30 minutes.

maybe I don't want to buy a new dryer...lol...

of course, my dryer was like 20 years old, so it was an energy hog....if I bought one of the new ones, it wouldn't cost as much to run as the old one.