List of topics by date?

Old 02-03-2011, 02:11 PM

There's probably an answer somewhere on the Board but my tired brain can't find it. I'd like a list of topics by the date they were posted. The closest thing I can find is "Recent Topics" which lists topics by poster (I think).

If I had a list of topics by date, I could more easily find something. For example, I'm looking for an earlier post from today about how to put a giraffe in a refrigerator. Meant to bookmark it, of course I didn't. :-( But, if I had the list, I could scan it quickly for today's topics and probably find it right away.

So, is there such a dated list? If there is, how to get to it? If there isn't, can we implore Admin to add this feature? Seems to me there have been others who've looked for recent posts but, without the title of the post, can't find it. Whatcha think??
Old 02-03-2011, 02:12 PM

i have a hard time also
Old 02-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Administrator

topics are listed in order by date and time of the most recent comment within that topic.

we also have a "Search" option at the top of the page.

Topic Log keeps a list of topics you viewed during your session on the site along with the amount of time that passed since you viewed them.

So if you view some topic and browse away, but later decide that you feel like making a post in that topic, you can always quickly find the topic in the Topic Log.

Topic Log is reset when you close your browser window.

For lots more information about how the board works, please check the stickied topics at the top of each section, or use this Topic List as a handy reference:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1004
Old 02-03-2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
topics are listed in order by date and time of the most recent comment within that topic.

>>> good to know, thanks.

we also have a "Search" option at the top of the page.

>>> doesn't help if you can't remember the title of the post, does it? I searched for "giraffe" and it came up empty so I'm guessing "giraffe" would have to be part of the title name, not just in the body of the post??

Topic Log is reset when you close your browser window.

>>> AH HA! the culprit!! I'm on and off the Board all day long, closing my browser in between. Also, when I shut down at night, my browser would be closed meaning I lose the history of posts from days back.

For lots more information about how the board works, please check the stickied topics at the top of each section, or use this Topic List as a handy reference:

>>> Although my brain is tired, I did check but didn't find an answer. I try hard not to be a lazy user. :-)
Thanks for the information, Patrice. I still think a permanent list of topics by date would be useful, at least for the past month or so. Oh well.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:49 PM

I've had issues finding a thread, too, and it can be very frustrating. Now, I'm bookmarking all kinds of things -just in case.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:02 PM

I would like by date also and not by last comment. or to be able to sort each colum by date. Thanks for bringing this up. At times useing the Search box is so frustrating because you get so many responses and again not in date order. Please Admin, think about this.

Blessing to all who monitor and use this board. This is a wonderful place. Thanks for all your hard work.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:13 PM

I would like to see the lists by date posted too, I don't care about the most recent comments. Please change it for all of us, it would make life easier.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Banned

I would like archives. If I don't get on for a few days because of being gone, I miss out and it upsets me.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:53 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by feffertim
I would like to see the lists by date posted too, I don't care about the most recent comments. Please change it for all of us, it would make life easier.
that which would be most convenient to a few who ask is not automatically most convenient or considered necessary by all. something i like might seem awful to others and vice versa.

when we ask for suggestions based on our own individual desires or preferences, it's important to remember that we are not, in fact, speaking "for all". we are speaking for ourselves and asking for what we want as individuals.

no board administrator can hope to ever please everybody.

i have sumitted the suggestion for consideration, but can make no promises. it will depend entirely upon whether or not the board software can support the idea without major re-engineering.

mind you ... even if it can be done and is provided as an additional option, you will still need to page through the list to find what you're looking for.

we got more than 9,000 posts during the past 24 hours. how likely is it that anything we're looking for, no matter how we sort - especially if it's date-based - is going to be at or near the top of a list?
Old 02-04-2011, 05:50 AM

I think it's also important for those of us who post to be careful with our titles. Spell words correctly and put a hint into the title about what the message is about. I'm trying to do a better job with this, myself. Then, it will be easier to use the search feature. My Nine Patch is Done! will get better results when searching than I'm finally done!